Companies that outsource - Opinions

tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
I know small companies it can work great but what about a company of 1K plus users, multiple smaller offices. Everything is cloud based and the company that runs IT is in India. From what I gathered the DC is local yet offsite, office 365, oracle, essbase some other DB's along with helpdesk converge 7am-7pm. 1 local US FT basic infrastructure/Desktop support employee for setting up all AD/email accounts and PC's and he does the 100 HQ user support.

I was just looking for experiences in working/dealing with outsourced companies for a large company. Not the mom and pop shop of 20 users

Comments

• TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What are you asking? I'm lost.
  • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you asking if Outsourcing is a great idea for large organisations? if so, it all depends on what area or business function you want to outsource. Finance, IT support/Dev and Legal are normally good candidates for shipment of work overseas but again each company is different. You don't want to outsource your main function that you should keep in-house. Also, there is the compliance side of things as well. Lots to consider.
  • jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes outsourcing works for companies of all sizes. Prior to moving into InfoSec with my current employer, I spent about a dozen years working for what was then the second largest provider of outsourced IT services in the world. We provided services to the Big 3 automakers, high end financial sector clients and many Fortune 1000/100/50 clients.

If outsourcing is done properly, its a win/win... A company should outsource NON core functions only... If its what you do to make money, it shouldnt be outsourced. The entire logic behind outsourcing is to allow a company to focus on its core business, while reducing expense. However, this isn't always the case... My current company says it is a payments technology company, yet we outsource a lot of IT functions, while an entire floor of our corporate head quarters is contact center staff ( which in my opinion should have been the 1st function outsourced)
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    FWIW, as it pertains to outsourced infosec, including MSSPs, I'm not a fan. For the cost of all that I've seen you might as well just buy FTEs and put them to use. I know many a professional pentester who was doing a test for someone and ended up on the MSSP's network, sometimes gaining domain admin on that MSSP network....
    FWIW, as it pertains to outsourced infosec, including MSSPs, I'm not a fan. For the cost of all that I've seen you might as well just buy FTEs and put them to use. I know many a professional pentester who was doing a test for someone and ended up on the MSSP's network, sometimes gaining domain admin on that MSSP network....

Wholeheartedly agree ! Security should never be outsourced in my opinion!
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I understand why companies outsource and it makes sense for many companies. From a regulation and compliance viewpoint it becomes a big headache trying to figure out how to stay compliant when a company outsources parts if not all of their IT.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Each situation has it's own dynamics making a blank statement one size fits all is scary.
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I understand why companies outsource and it makes sense for many companies. From a regulation and compliance viewpoint it becomes a big headache trying to figure out how to stay compliant when a company outsources parts if not all of their IT.

Yes it does, I know 1st hand how painful it can get... thats why I was spending about a month 3 times in 15 months in India for 3 or 4 years until I transitioned from GRC to Threat Intel :O
  • LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Depends on the company, literally thousands of factors go into this and saying it's good or bad is irrelevant unless you know the business and business needs.

What I see now in the market are companies not outsourcing help desk and product support, they are actually outsourcing infrastructure into a IaaS or SaaS models. Some companies this is great others not so much.