Options

VM firewall/IDS

DDStimeDDStime Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am using VMdesktop and have some OS's that include Kali, Ubuntu, Mint and some other variations as VM's.

I also have two OS's that are clearOS and I plan on using one for a firewall and one for an IDS/IPS.

I know that technically that these items should not be VM's, but how would I configure the firewall/IDS/IPS to cover the other VM's?

I just downloaded them yesterday and set the IDS/IPS rules, but have not had a chance to actually configure them yet so I am looking for some direction before I do it tonight.

All the OS VM's are logical connection to the NIC as eth0.

All are currently getting DHCP from the network, but I would like to set up one of the clearOS VM's to provide these services as they are capable of doing it as well.

Any help or advice would he helpful.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You'll have to either qtag the external traffic coming in from your internet connection to the host machine or install an additional Nic that is provisioned to the VMs you want to be externally facing.
  • Options
    Ertaz wrote: »
    You'll have to either qtag the external traffic coming in from your internet connection to the host machine or install an additional Nic that is provisioned to the VMs you want to be externally facing.

Can I do this traffic redirect from the VM/laptop itself or does this kind of traffic redirect need to be run by an application?

So traffic would be processed by the computer >routes to the VM>Then distributed to each VM right?
  • Options
    I figured it out.

Made the clearos a second NIC with the first getting DHCP from the router on the WLAN facing side and the second NIC as a private inward facing seperate network. All the VM's are talking and not able to ping the laptop (which o wanted) and all traffic is routing through the firewall.

Now I'll change it to DCHP on the private net and I'm all set.