struggling

mookytcmookytc Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
hi all...I have hit a wall with cpu's. Trouble memorizing which speed on which slot along with the voltages they run at. Other parts are clicking and coming along nicely. Newer hardware would not be a problem but those old cpu's are killing me.

I am just venting but getting frustrated. IRQ's, I/O's, cables, other points of memorization are going well.

Again just venting...I really need to pass the exam.

DC

Comments

• ricktearicktea Inactive Imported Users Posts: 118
    you may not need to concentrate on older technology like xt, 286
    486, etc. but know the few pentiumchips. Repetition is the key,
    if you read a book3-4 times you can almost know the information
    on any particular page. Ric
    Richard Krenzel
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    mookytc wrote:
    hi all...I have hit a wall with cpu's. Trouble memorizing which speed on which slot along with the voltages they run at. Other parts are clicking and coming along nicely. Newer hardware would not be a problem but those old cpu's are killing me.

I am just venting but getting frustrated. IRQ's, I/O's, cables, other points of memorization are going well.

Again just venting...I really need to pass the exam.

DC

Hang in there :)

The more you work with hardware the easier it is to recall (in my experience). However, you may not have a bunch of 468 and PI era processors and mobo's laying around....though you may find some.

Try making flashcards, charts or a tape of you reciting the information. You'll get it :)

BTW - it is a portion of the exam...not the whole exam, so if you need to focus on other areas....maybe take a break from CPUs and return at a later time.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • mookytcmookytc Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thanks!!! appreciate the support!

DC
  • Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    This might help.
    I made a chart with the CPU's and the specs that I needed to memorize.
    I used Excel. I filled in the numbers for the specs for each kind of CPU each day for a week. I had a blank template and one with the answers. I knew it by the end of the week.
    You're right. Those CPU's are a pain.
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
    Vogon Poet wrote:
    This might help.
    I made a chart with the CPU's and the specs that I needed to memorize.
    I used Excel. I filled in the numbers for the specs for each kind of CPU each day for a week. I had a blank template and one with the answers. I knew it by the end of the week.
    You're right. Those CPU's are a pain.

you wouldn't still have that chart would you? icon_redface.gif
  • Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    No, that was a few exams ago.
    All you want to do is list the Pentium/AMD types vertically, put the desired specs horizontally across the top, and fill in the values. Takes no time to set up. As I recall, it's mostly about pin-outs and slot types.
    FYI, the bulk of my test involved troubleshooting. I might have had one question regarding CPU types, but component facts weren't a big percentage of the test. (Disclaimer: You should know them nonetheless.)
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
    Thanks..I have some sheets that pretty much do that. I am making some progress.

DC