ntfs shares - why isnt life simple?

hi

ok so I have a folder with 3 folders underneath them and 3 folders within each of them. so 9 in total.

I can see how inheritance works ok and apply ALL the names down to overwrite any defined/explicite permissions.

However if I just wanted 1 user to propogate down from the top folder and be added to any defined/explicite subfolder(s) without changing anything else in the ACL can it be done? icon_confused.gif

This is the part really I dont understand well icon_redface.gif

Cheers!
Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes, that's as easy as adding that user to the top level folder with whatever permission you want him to have. Inheritance is "on" by default, so as long as you haven't unchecked that little box on the advanced tab you're golden.

The difficulty comes in when maybe you want him to have different permissions on folders beneath the top one, or maybe you want him to have permission to the top level directory and only one of the 3 subfolders.

Permissions and directory trees are something you want to get right BEFORE you start flinging files around. It takes careful planning to avoid a mess over time.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
    sorry maybe I wasnt clear.

I didnt want all the inherited names to overwrite the defined/explicite subfolder, just a single user to be added from the folder ACL above. Is that possible?, starting from the higher folder ACL to be added to a subfolder ACL with defined/explicite permissions set already in place.

Now maybe I dont even understand what I wrote.

PS - what has happen to my life that Im in on a friday night playing with NTFS perssions for the last hour! icon_redface.gif I should be out drunk somewhere :D
    Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well, on the root folder, you can add everyone you want on that folder and that childs will inherit. On the folder you want to restrict, you can turn off inheritance AFTER it has inherited. When you turn off inheritance, it will prompt you to remove all ACL entries or whether you want to copy them. Choose copy and then remove the specific people that were inherited previosuly. Now you have the inherited settings previously but can be more specific on that folder. The only problem is, future settings on the folders above that wont be inherited down since you turned inheritance off. Hopefully this helps.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sorry maybe I wasnt clear.

I didnt want all the inherited names to overwrite the defined/explicite subfolder, just a single user to be added from the folder ACL above. Is that possible?, starting from the higher folder ACL to be added to a subfolder ACL with defined/explicite permissions set already in place.

Now maybe I dont even understand what I wrote.

PS - what has happen to my life that Im in on a friday night playing with NTFS perssions for the last hour! icon_redface.gif I should be out drunk somewhere :D

I understood, and the answer is the same. icon_cool.gif

It doesn't matter what permissions you already have on any of the folders. As long as you don't already have inheritance turned off on any of the sub folders, if you add Joe Blow with READ access on a folder (top, middle, or where ever) he will also gain READ access to all folders/files below in the hierarchy without changing existing rights assigned to others. Likewise if you modify a user's existing rights. Remember the default state is to propegate and inherit. Unless you change it on the advanced tab somewhere in the chain, you're good to go. Once you change it you have thrown a monkey wrench into the works that will make administration more difficult. That said, there are instances where you will need to do this, but it should be the exception and not the rule.

Now go have some fun! :)

@icroyal - Nice avatar! icon_lol.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.