Frame Relay

pearljampearljam Member Posts: 134
I can't get frame relay to work, I have it configured exactly as it is in the book, despite the IP addresses but the ports won't come up. I did a no shut on all of them. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here?

Frame Relay Switch

interface Serial1/0
no ip address
encapsulation frame-relay
clock rate 64000
!
interface Serial1/0.1 point-to-point
ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0
frame-relay interface-dlci 21
!
interface Serial1/0.2 point-to-point
ip address 10.1.2.1 255.255.255.0
frame-relay interface-dlci 22
!
interface Serial1/0.3 point-to-point
ip address 10.1.3.1 255.255.255.0
frame-relay interface-dlci 23

R1

interface Serial0/1/0
no ip address
!
interface Serial0/1/0.1 point-to-point
ip address 10.1.1.2 255.255.255.0
frame-relay interface-dlci 20

R2

interface Serial0/1/0
no ip address
!
ip address 10.1.2.2 255.255.255.0

R3

interface Serial0/1/0
no ip address
!
ip address 10.1.3.2 255.255.255.0

Comments

• clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    always a good place to start. are you using the right cables. do the interfaces show up and up. show interface type port

is the clock present. "show controllers serial" DTE V.35 serial cable attached, clock present be sure the frame relay switch which supplies the clock is DCE

what is the output of show frame-relay pvc
    show frame-relay map

about using dlci 20 on 3 interfaces:
    Frame Relay DLCIs have local significance, which means that the values themselves are not unique in the Frame Relay WAN. A DLCI identifies a VC to the equipment at an endpoint. A DLCI has no significance beyond the single link. Two devices connected by a VC may use a different DLCI value to refer to the same connection.

Locally significant DLCIs have become the primary method of addressing, because the same address can be used in several different locations while still referring to different connections. Local addressing prevents a customer from running out of DLCIs as the network grows.
  • james43026james43026 Member Posts: 303 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Your frame relay switch config is incomplete. You need to specify that the frame relay switch interfaces are DCE, and you need to setup routing between the DLCIs on the frame relay switch. Also, I'm not sure that you can setup a frame-relay route on a sub-interface, nor am I sure why you would want to.

[SIZE=-1]Step 1[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Enable Frame Relay switching on the router using the command frame-relay switching in the global configuration mode.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Step 2[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Go to the interface configuration mode of the Frame Relay interface where you want to configure Frame Relay switching. Configure the interface as a DCE interface with the frame-relay intf-type dce interface configuration command.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Step 3[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Configure the Frame Relay switching on the interface using the frame-relay route command, specifying the incoming DLCI, the outgoing interface, and the outgoing DLCI. Note that Frame Relay switching can be configured only on physical interfaces.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Step 4[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]The clockrate command is required on the serial interface of the Frame Relay switch (attached with the DCE end of the serial cable). It provides clocking signals to the connected Frame Relay routers, which are set up as DTE devices.[/SIZE]