Linux jobs

bigbenhotnessbigbenhotness Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
I would like to dip into linux later and make it my career somehow, just want to know what kind of jobs are out there based on linux?

Comments

• VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    You can do pretty much anything with Linux in the IT field. Most security based applications are used from Linux based platforms, most web servers on the internet run on Linux, phones run on Linux, etc. The career opportunities are endless really and the demand for Linux professionals is very high. The result is a pay scale that is usually much higher than alternative IT fields.
  • wrfortiscuewrfortiscue Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Verities wrote: »
    You can do pretty much anything with Linux in the IT field. Most security based applications are used from Linux based platforms, most web servers on the internet run on Linux, phones run on Linux, etc. The career opportunities are endless really and the demand for Linux professionals is very high. The result is a pay scale that is usually much higher than alternative IT fields.
    How do I get exp in that field though? Do I get a junior role or something?
    That's really a catch 22 right? The best thing you can do is learn about the basics of Linux, then figure out how to administer network services (DHCP and DNS probably being the easiest to implement initially), then possibly pursue a certification in the field. College degrees in computer science are always sought after since you'll most likely study the Linux OS during that time. Networking with local user groups can also help in career opportunities.
    That's really a catch 22 right? The best thing you can do is learn about the basics of Linux, then figure out how to administer network services (DHCP and DNS probably being the easiest to implement initially), then possibly pursue a certification in the field. College degrees in computer science are always sought after since you'll most likely study the Linux OS during that time. Networking with local user groups can also help in career opportunities.

Ok thanks, I just got the LPIC cert for linux. I want to learn more but with a baby on the way I am trying to see what my next step is for better ROI.
    Ok thanks, I just got the LPIC cert for linux. I want to learn more but with a baby on the way I am trying to see what my next step is for better ROI.

Congratulations and study as much as you can now. I know from experience that your time to study diminishes once you have a baby to take care of and especially in the first couple of months until your baby starts sleeping through the night, you'll most likely be in a constant zombie state.

ROI on any cert is all about the amount of effort you put into it. I do like Linux Academy and their courses since they provide a lot of structure and labs that you can do to learn how to setup things like DNS or DHCP or whatever.
    Congratulations and study as much as you can now. I know from experience that your time to study diminishes once you have a baby to take care of and especially in the first couple of months until your baby starts sleeping through the night, you'll most likely be in a constant zombie state.

ROI on any cert is all about the amount of effort you put into it. I do like Linux Academy and their courses since they provide a lot of structure and labs that you can do to learn how to setup things like DNS or DHCP or whatever.

Thanks for the advice. I do like linux academy, thats what helped me get that cert!