Options

Good ASA book for a newbie

mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
A buddy of mine out of the blue game me a Cisco ASA 5505 to add to my small home lab and I was wondering about a good book I can use to learn about it and Firewalls in general. In doing some research on Amazon I came across a book called Cisco ASA Firewall Fundamentals 3rd Edition. The reviews seemed good. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this book or can make a better suggestion ?

As always, Thank you in advance for your feedback

Mgmguy1

[h=1][/h]
"A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino

Comments

• Options
    ImYourOnlyDJImYourOnlyDJ Member Posts: 180
    I'm in the same boat as an ASA newbie that recently acquired a 5510 looking to implement at home. I'm borrowing a book from a buddy called Network Defense and Countermeasures by Randy Weaver. Its a vender neutral book that teaches the basic theory of information security. Its what I needed and was looking for.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This is the current ASA book until this fall when the new FirePower (newest ASA) comes out. Don't worry. Firepower is just the latest supped up variety with a better IDS/IPS module. For your purposes this will serve you well.

I have a pair of 5515s in my lab when I need to play around myself. Ahhh... some old equipment never gets recycled, does it?

- b/eads
  • Options
    KrekenKreken Member Posts: 284
    I love the book "Cisco Firewalls" by Moraes. You can pickup used for $26. I think this is the best book I've read on the firewalls. It doesn't cover the new stuff like Firepower but still is worth the money and time investment.