Options

Calling recruiters/staffers after your interview?

ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
I recently went on a interview for a good IT job. I will be the main tech support for 50 users and report to the IT manager of the company. What puzzled me was after I did the interview the staffing rep wanted me to call him and tell him about the interview.... right then I knew it was a red flag. I was as vague as possible and told him as little as I could about the interview. I know that he wanted info from me on what went on in the interview to pass on to other people that may interview for that position like I did....

Anyone else went through this?
In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
“The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't think that's a red flag at all. I have one recruiter I really trust, and he does this exact thing. He wants to see how you felt it went, he talks to the company and sees how they felt it went too, they are trying to match people up.
  • Options
    steelodonsteelodon Member Posts: 103
    Does this improves your chances for landing a job when outside recruiters pursue the opportunities for you?
  • Options
    ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have had Interviews with recruiters and they have told me questions the company asked other recruits. Honestly i think you did the right thing don't make sense to me to help others get the position you want.

From the recruiters stand point it doesn't matter who gets the position they still get paid.
    I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
    Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

• Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    It is pretty standard practice in the UK - the agents don't really know much about what the client is asking for typically so earlier applicants can give feedback that they can use if they need to send in another batch of applicants.

Yes there is often a chance you can give them the questions from the interview that could be passed onto other applicants and give them a better chance, but that is up to your discretion.

It can improve your chances of the recruiter forwarding you for other roles if you do give good feedback mind you - recruitment can be a 2 way street.

thanks
    Iain
  • Options
    KrekenKreken Member Posts: 284
    It's not a red flag. I bet he asked you how you think you did, how did the interview go and so on. I highly doubt he asked about the specific technical questions. This is normal. All good recruiters that I dealt with did the same thing.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Pretty normal. Not a red flag to me. They want to know how you did and get some info. They're just trying to make a dollar like anyone else.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You don't have to answer the technical questions if your paranoid about the interview, itself. Most of the time recruiters are looking for the reaction to the interview, style, likes and dislikes - that sort of thing. Cultural fit is a big deal right now and not every candidate will thrive in every environment. Its also the recruiters job to understand the full regimen of requirements that best fit the needs of the client.

In other words they get paid for successful placement as well so yes, it is a bit self serving but the recruiter works for the client, not us.

(*Edit*) Oh better add that its a fine line working with recruiters in any case. Some are great to work with others need to be treated with a bit more caution. Least I be accused of being naughty or something. icon_thumright.gif

- b/eads
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    The job of a recruiter is to get a body for a position. When they do that, they make their money and move on to the next body. Its very normal for a recruiter to call you after an interview, since they usually handle most of the interaction up to the offer letter and want to have a feel for the situation/placement.
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Kreken wrote: »
    It's not a red flag. I bet he asked you how you think you did, how did the interview go and so on. I highly doubt he asked about the specific technical questions. This is normal. All good recruiters that I dealt with did the same thing.

Would have to agree from my experience.
  • Options
    fmitawapsfmitawaps Banned Posts: 261
    Usually when a recruiter wants me to call them after an interview, it is to see if I thought it went well and if I thought the job would be a good fit for me, not to extract interview details to feed to other competitors for the job I am applying for.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    It is normal I've had recruiters ask me that before.

They want to know how it went.
    Am I still excited for the position?
    Was there anything I didnt like?
    What kind of technical questions were there? Were they questions like they had dealt with in the past?

Also have to remember that client may be their specific account. Anything you can tell them can help future clients they are trying to place get a leg up (not specifically for the same position)
  • Options
    LA2LA2 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've have this happen to me a couple of time. Sometime the recruiter is just as anxious and want to know how it went. :D