Motivation?! What triggers yours?!

Chrisbari14Chrisbari14 Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
Good morning/afternoon Tech Fam,

So I posted this thread to see what keeps you guys motivated to continue to study for certs and expand your knowledge?
I understand that of course money can be a motivating factor, but what are other things that keep you guys moving?! I know there's a ton of experienced professionals here so what is something that pumps you up and motivate you?

I'm a 22 year old and I'm facing some family issues, so what keeps me motivated is putting my self in the position, as a man, to be able to care of my mother and little brother. What are some additional things that I can find to motivate me and give me that extra boost?!!?

Comments

• DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Balance is my key. Motivation to be great at certain things. Not all things, I reeled that back a while ago, but certain items I want to be good at I go for it. That is what drives me those 2 - 3 things I want to be GREAT at.

"I'm a 22 year old and I'm facing some family issues, so what keeps me motivated is putting my self in the position, as a man, to be able to care of my mother and little brother". This is about as honorable and as motivating as it gets. JMHO
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Striving to be the best at what I do; I know I may not ever achieve that goal, but its how I challenge myself to be better.
  • CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My carrier started as just a way to make alot very quick.

It has turned into a passion and that's what keeps me at it.

A love for technology and a willingness to learn new things.
  • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Kids will go hungry that's more than enough to motivate me.
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    At your age - the biggest factor for me was living on my own. After you have moved back in with parents that's enough to give you are HARD reality check. (i.e.: Time to get your $hit together)

Other reasons

Don't want to rely on others for ANYTHING
    Take care of the kids
    Keeps you busy :)
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I started out pretty disciplined but one thing has always remained the same for me - I never want to be the "ex-tech". Grates on my nerves to no end to hear people say things like: "I used to do what you do..." No, I bet you never did. You probably weren't very good in the first place and rightfully got out. Thank-you for not cluttering up the field.

Driven mad to learn new skills on a daily basis and keep on the cutting edge as much as possible. Ironically the learning gets a little more difficult as you get into you're nth decade but the discipline to keep doing it becomes more habit than hindrance. In other words it gets easier with age. At least for some people. Others move into management because they can't learn any more.

That's the truth of it. Like it or not.

- b/eads
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd say largely ego. I want to be the best and want management to know that when they come to me I will have an answer. But also I think the Matrix summed it up:

"It’s the question that drives us, Neo." - Trinity

I enjoy being able to break things down and to investigate them. To look at something and say here are the flaws or to say "this is where they got in and what they got".
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's money.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If it wasn't for money i wouldn't show up to work..... Just saying.....
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What keeps me motivated? I just want to see how far I can go with this IT thing. It's a combination of what everyone has said from above too, money, wanting to be the best, wanting to know if I still got it or can do it, helping others around me, etc.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Having bills to pay. Also, getting back to the same level of pay I was making before I made a career change.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I'd like to say it's my vision...but truth is, it's to have a better life. Being passionate and working towards something makes you a more stable and happier person.

Also, when I catch myself doing something mundane and boring, or when I have a bad idea I think screw this I can do better...time to work!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Money, challenging myself and knowing that the more knowledge I obtain the more valuable I become to my employer and future employers (think job security not money).

I have my moments but generally speaking I spend 4 months studying in some capacity and 8 months relaxing to give myself a break. I try to complete and/or renew two certs a year (realistically it's usually one).

I like the challenge. Same at work. I'm not the person that sits there and accepts status quo, I want to be challenged. Same with studying. Yes it's nice to take breaks (currently taking one until August when I start on my MCSA upgrade) but I find myself excited to start studying for the next certification, getting that high from passing the exam.

Money helps but what helps more is knowing that keeping up with technology will ensure the next guy doesn't take my place. IT is competitive and if you don't stay on top of it you will be passed up.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I know there's a ton of experienced professionals here so what is something that pumps you up and motivate you?

Fear of unemployment. I was very surprised how tough the job market was in 2013, I thought someone with 20 years experience in IT would have no trouble getting something, even crappy jobs would have been something. Nothing but crickets when I sent my resume. I ended up taking a temp job I would have never have considered before. Lady luck favored me and it led to something great. I can't rely on luck next time.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    When I wake up in the morning and see my two-year-old daughter asleep on the baby monitor I know that I will push myself to be the best I can be so she can one day be all she can be. I love what I do, no doubt, but my drive to succeed is fueled by her.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    @TechGromit: I'm facing the exact same thing right now, except that I'm luckily employed...the job market is confronting so I don't want to be in a position where I'm relying on luck. I want to be in the offense...
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• 9bits9bits Member Posts: 138 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Coffee, the intrigue of learning, not wanting to be homeless.