Video Training

icon_arrow.gifWhat is the best Video Training material out right now? THX

Comments

• Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well most people and I use pluralsight site. They have some good videos and stuff.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • alfred06alfred06 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am just starting out the plurasight 3 months free. really good videos.
  • GSXR750K2GSXR750K2 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used CBT Nuggets back before the R2 updates. They were very good videos, though if I recall a total of three different guys (James Conrad, Greg Shields, and someone else I think) worked on the whole 410-414 series, so there were differing styles of instruction to adapt to.

I haven't watched the R2 videos so I can't attest to their quality, but if they are as well done as the previous set then they would be worth taking a look at. I plan on getting the 413 and 414 R2 videos to review for my MCSE renewal coming up at the end of October.
  • AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used Pluralsight AND Infinite Skills. Both were very helpful and each set of videos seemed to cover at least one thing the other didn't and/or explained a topic differently that helped me understand it better than the first way I learned it. Between the two, I'd say the Pluralsight is easier to follow along for a complete beginner and then use the Infinite Skills to fill in some gaps as they are a little more fast paced than the Pluralsight seemed to be
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • lavidicuslavidicus Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You may want to look somewhere other than pluralsight. The videos are great as long as you can stay awake. I had the same issue when I listened to Jason Hemlick's Sec+ videos on Pluralsight. Sometimes too much of a good thing is actually a bad thing.

I found a post by someone else on this forum that used groupon to find training courses. I tried it and found simplilearn at 90% discounts. I passed the ITIL-F,Sec+,CISSP,CISA over the last 4 months using multiple video resources other than Pluralsight because I didnt have time to watch a few weeks worth of videos for something like Sec+.

I'm not disparaging Plural sight, their videos are great if you have the time to sit through 30 minute introduction about a certification, but in most cases you dont need that much information, and information overload is a real concern. Using the faster video courses I was able to pass with a 90% in both the ITIL and Sec+ after studying for 2 weeks on each. So my advice is use your time wisely or you risk burning out, which is where I'm getting trying to get through all of the 56 hours of videos on the MCSA.

Also, the study method I use is to find multiple video sources for a certification, and read at least 1 or 2 books before the test. I also use Spritzlet speed reading and can finish and comprehend the books at about 300wpm.

I hope this helps you as much as its helped me so far this year.
  • ed_003ed_003 Member Posts: 216
    Thx lavidicus! good work. how man hrs a day do you study? do you take notes? ... also thank you all for your answers
  • Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    lavidicus wrote: »
    You may want to look somewhere other than pluralsight. The videos are great as long as you can stay awake. I had the same issue when I listened to Jason Hemlick's Sec+ videos on Pluralsight. Sometimes too much of a good thing is actually a bad thing.

I found a post by someone else on this forum that used groupon to find training courses. I tried it and found simplilearn at 90% discounts. I passed the ITIL-F,Sec+,CISSP,CISA over the last 4 months using multiple video resources other than Pluralsight because I didnt have time to watch a few weeks worth of videos for something like Sec+.

I'm not disparaging Plural sight, their videos are great if you have the time to sit through 30 minute introduction about a certification, but in most cases you dont need that much information, and information overload is a real concern. Using the faster video courses I was able to pass with a 90% in both the ITIL and Sec+ after studying for 2 weeks on each. So my advice is use your time wisely or you risk burning out, which is where I'm getting trying to get through all of the 56 hours of videos on the MCSA.

Also, the study method I use is to find multiple video sources for a certification, and read at least 1 or 2 books before the test. I also use Spritzlet speed reading and can finish and comprehend the books at about 300wpm.

I hope this helps you as much as its helped me so far this year.

I just checked out Spritzlet speed reading app. Looks pretty cool but how do you load your books to it? I had to slow it down just a little on the sample stuff but notice i was able to read it quick..
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
    My study time is between 10pm to 2am since the end of Feburary. I can also study for an hour or 2 at work when we're slow.

I only took notes during the ITIL-F because of the volume of definitions you need to retain. Otherwise I watch 2 desperate video courses in the cert and then read it from SafariBooks.

Total time studying was 2 weeks for ITIL-F and SEC+. The CISSP took 1 month as did the CISA.

With the MCSA I'm half way through the 70/411 book and getting ready to take the 70/410 book after I lab the power shell portion. So for this I'm watching videos, reading a cert book and doing practice labs to ingrain the concepts, also teaching myself powershell intandem since I haven't previously used it.
    Wow I obviously needed to review that before posting lol. I'm about to take not book, and separate not desperate video courses.

Also the spritzlet will auto detect the text on your browser, if it doesn't see it highlight the test and then open spritzlet and it should work for you.
  • MicronewbMicronewb Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used Pluralsight AND Infinite Skills. Both were very helpful and each set of videos seemed to cover at least one thing the other didn't and/or explained a topic differently that helped me understand it better than the first way I learned it. Between the two, I'd say the Pluralsight is easier to follow along for a complete beginner and then use the Infinite Skills to fill in some gaps as they are a little more fast paced than the Pluralsight seemed to be

Just downloaded the app on the phone but only works with websites it seems ( going to play around with it and see if I can load PDF into the app).

I found another app called Flash Reader (apple store) and it supports PDF BUT you gotta pay.
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would say that it depends on the course. For instance, I really liked the CBT Nuggets for the Windows Server 2012 R2 MCSA Upgrade (70-417)... but I really didn't like the Exchange 2013 courses. It comes down to the instructor (their voice [annoying voices or difficult accents can make it difficult to concentrate], if they try to be slapstick [extremely distracting], and do they cover the content deeply enough [many gloss over it and click, click, next]). This is why I don't commit to a video series... I try some videos from each source and then go with the one I like the most (CBT Nuggets, Pluralsight, and Microsoft Virtual Academy).
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro