Options

Subnetting for Network+

jacksonrjacksonr Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
Morning Chaps,

I am just working my way towards my network+ and just wanted to check something. I MAY have asked this before but....How indepth does the Network+ go in regards to Subnetting?
I have spent yesterday messing about with Subnets and I think I understand it to a degree. So a Subnet of 255.255.255.192 (/27 in CIDR) Can be 4 Subnets with 64 addresses. However, 2 of those addresses need to be kept. 1 for the Default Gateway and we cant use 255 so only 62 available addresses per Subnet.

I have been through Messer and Meyers and I think I have a good understanding of it. According to Meyers, the Net+ wont go that indepth into subnetting, I will get questions like using this Subnet mask, how many hosts and how many useable addresses can you have.

Thank you,
Ron

Comments

• Options
    AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took the Net+ 4 years ago and there was minimal subnetting on the exam but it may have changed by now. The level of subnetting difficulty wasn't too hard but I already knew a great deal about networking and subnetting before taking the Network+ since I'd gone through the Cisco Networking Academy a few years prior, plus having work experience in the field. It seems you have a fundamental knowledge already which is good and hopefully someone who has taken a more recent version of the exam can comment here and provide some better input as to how in-depth of subnetting you need to know now a days. You really should try to learn as much about it though as you can because even if it doesn't show up on the Net+ you'll still need it for other exams and working in the field. Good luck!
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • Options
    Thank you sir, much appreciated.
    I will certainly look into Subnetting a lot further seeing as I want to do the CCNET and CCNA. Just didn't want to get too bogged down with it at the moment as there are other areas I need to look at as well :)

Appreciate your input. Thank you.
  • Options
    AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You're welcome, good luck!
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • Options
    Bump. Advice please?
  • Options
    Ben1373Ben1373 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I did my network+ about a month ago, and i literally got like 1 question even related to subnetting. It was also a simulation question which made it slightly easier.
  • Options
    Thanks very much Ben.
  • Options
    JTNJTN Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took my exam last Saturday and I had a simulation/performance question that required me to subnet the network. So I would defiantly advise to know it pretty well.
  • Options
    Thank you @JTN
    Without breaking the NDA, how indepth was it and just curious but how many questions did you have? Messer says up to 90 questions, Meyers says up to 100 and I have seen other posts saying they have 50. All seems very varied.

Cheers
  • Options
    JTNJTN Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Let's just say enough that I required me write out the proper subnet to use i.e. actually doing the math.

I don't know the exact number but in the 80s
  • Options
    JTN wrote: »
    Let's just say enough that I required me write out the proper subnet to use i.e. actually doing the math.

I don't know the exact number but in the 80s

Thank you very much.
    I plan on going through the Multiple Choice Answers, then tackling the scenario based ones after.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated. back to the Port Numbers for me tonight...Oh Joy!
  • Options
    HitmarHitmar Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes... Port numbers is where I am weak at.
    Subnetting was made easy for me through Subnetting Made Easy - written for my students at work on the Cisco Support Forum.