No experience

nygs82nygs82 Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey guys I have no hands on experience and I have an interview on Tuesday for a help desk analyst position, though I have made it clear that I do have some experience just to give myself of getting the job it's through a contract to hire basis the reason I'm not being honest about my experience is indeed don't have none every Entry-level job I apply either states 1-3, or 3-5 years experience. My question to you guys are what should I do I'm trying to get my foot in the door i have an A+ certification and currently working on my network+ trying to overall reach my goals of becoming a network administrator wonder. Being honest haven't help me any suggestions thank son guys .

Comments

• danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You should never lie, period. Always be honest because it can come back to bite you on the ass. How can you talk about experience when you don't have any? How can you talk about a project you've worked on at a past job, or what you have accomplished? It's just not the right way to do business with anyone. My advice to you is highlight your A+ certification, for example, if you are enthusiastic to apply your theoretical knowledge in the real world, tell the interviewer that. Enthusiasm is contagious! Let them know you're working on your N+ and have plans to become a network administrator, ask about opportunities to develop your skills and that you look forward to move up in the company when you become full time permanent. Let them know if they give you that opportunity, you will show them how you shine.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • nygs82nygs82 Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So how do I go about my resume looked at With no experience ?
    You keep applying, someone will give you a shot sometime. Also post your resume here, excluding personal and specific info (ex: name, address, company name) if you haven't already, so we can take a look and give you some feedback. The hiring company could do a background check on you as well to verify previous employers, so just don't do it.
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Keep pushing for certs. A+ is a good start. N+ is a good route to go. Keep applying as Danny said and try to lab and/or volunteer as much as possible since those are things you can put on your resume.

The fact that you got an interview with no experience is a good sign they're willing to take a chance on you. You just gotta sell yourself and let them know how passionate you are, and more importantly, all the steps you are taking now to accomplish your goals.
    markulous wrote: »

The fact that you got an interview with no experience is a good sign they're willing to take a chance on you.

They don't know he doesn't have any experience.
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Whoops I misread that. Yeah, that's not good. Lying about having experience when you have none is bad.
  • CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Well u got an interview so GJ. Lying flat out is pretty bad but might as well make the best of the situation and kill it in the interview.

Just look up interview questions on indeed for help desk jobs and study the star method interview technique.

You will most likely be asked personality questions for an entry job.

...if you really want to have a clue about what you are doing build a network from scratch in AWS or using VMdesktop that way you actually know what the hell your talking about.

Good luck
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There are companies that have internship to hire programs. They rotate you every few months to different roles (helpdesk, desktop,sys admin, network admin).

Depending on your age, you can try Yearup.com
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Lying is wrong....... but let's be realistic.

How can you get an "entry-level" gig if they only want people with Experience??
    It's a catch-22.

I once applied for a Jr Network gig. But guess what?? They wanted Experienced candidates.
    I had ZERO experience; but that didn't stop me from "tweaking" my resume to say otherwise.
    I got called in for the interview.... and they GRILLED the heck out of me with technical questions...
    but Guess who got the job the next week ;]

So go ahead and Lie.. just be sure you KNOW what you're talking about :]
  • DerkDaDerkDerkDaDerk Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If I were you, I would heavily prep for technical interview questions. It may be help desk, but that doesn't mean you should take it lightly, especially with no experience. Please don't lie on your resume in the future.... you're cheating yourself and others.