Whats your goal?

DDStimeDDStime Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
I was just curious to see what your goal was in your career?

I talk with a lot of people and its always interesting to see why they are doing what they are doing and what they are doing it for.

Is it to buy new things?
Keep up with your parents?
Pay off this or that?

What is your goal and what drives you?

Comments

• aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I want a job that interests and motivates me. I also want to make enough money that I can save for retirement without living off of ketchup packets and ramen noodles. Fortunately, these goals are not orthogonal!
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • DDStimeDDStime Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I want a job that interests and motivates me. I also want to make enough money that I can save for retirement without living off of ketchup packets and ramen noodles. Fortunately, these goals are not orthogonal!
    If you do t mi d me asking what are those goals specifically...

What does retirement look like for you (1 million in a savings, passive income, paid off mortgage, vacation home etc...)

Also what age and how to you plan on getting there from now to then?

I am also planning for retirement, but my goals are to retire very young with mostly passive income so I'm interested to see how others plan that out.
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    My goal is to make the best life possible for my kids and my wife. That is all my goal is.

I don't care about possessions. I never buy anything for myself and am happy with what I have.
    I have no debt but my home which is 1/4 paid off already.
    Any money that is left at the end of the the month more than $500 I save or invest so I am fine for retirement. (So if I have $1300 in checking at end of month I take 800 of that and use it for something else)
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    kohr-ah wrote: »
    My goal is to make the best life possible for my kids and my wife. That is all my goal is.

+1 to this! I want to my kids to grow up in a nice and very safe neighborhood. I can't control their lives but will put them in the safest environment I am able to. That and being debt free.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Career wise my goal is to have fun learning and playing with new tech and get paid well to do it. Working out well so far!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    That's it lol. Just have a safe environment for your kids and hope for the best?

I'm sure you have actual hard number goals like I'm saving x amount every month or I'm paying x amount to y every month?

How do you plan on being debt free?

How are you going to retire? Social security only?
    I know pretty much everyones goal is to be debt free and retire, but how many actually have a plan on how to do that.

If you have an actual plan, what is it?
    DDStime wrote: »
    That's it lol. Just have a safe environment for your kids and hope for the best?

ummm yea... icon_scratch.gif I guess thats a bigger thing to me than others.

But you pay off debt by making enough to pay everything off and not accrue more. And retire by putting money into a retirement account each paycheck. Let me know if you want a good financial advisor, I like mine and could give you their number if you want specific details on how to do it.
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I know pretty much everyones goal is to be debt free and retire, but how many actually have a plan on how to do that.

If you have an actual plan, what is it?

What are you looking for from us exactly? You seem to be asking questions as if you're surveying us for a dissertation. We have different motivations and goals that drive us to where we want to be.

Your questions reminded me of a good book I read by Napoleon Hill, "Think and Grow Rich". It basically talks about how people become successful, and it all started with a strong desire. I think you'd definitely enjoy the book.
    ummm yea... icon_scratch.gif I guess thats a bigger thing to me than others.

But you pay off debt by making enough to pay everything off and not accrue more. And retire by putting money into a retirement account each paycheck. Let me know if you want a good financial advisor, I like mine and could give you their number if you want specific details on how to do it.

No don't get me wrong. I embody the same goals. I am just curious as to whatthose exact goals are.

So do you plan on making contributions until you collect SS or do you have a set amount where you say "I am done at x amount or in this day."

And thanks but nope, I do all my own investments
    What are you looking for from us exactly? You seem to be asking questions as if you're surveying us for a dissertation. We have different motivations and goals that drive us to where we want to be.

Your questions reminded me of a good book I read by Napoleon Hill, "Think and Grow Rich". It basically talks about how people become successful, and it all started with a strong desire. I think you'd definitely enjoy the book.
    Thx for the info.

I'm just looking to see what others goals are so that I might get some unique and creative ideas for my own goals.

I know people sometimes don't want to share that kind if info and I'm fine with that.

Right now I rely heavily on passive income for most of my investment decisions, but I have talked with a few people that had great ideas on the topic, which makes me wonder what kind of other great investments I'm missing out on! ;)
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    To answer your question for my case yes. Before I had kids my goal was different.
    Now that I have kids and a family my life revolves and exists to make theirs better.

As for retirement here is current plan if you can.
    Have a matching 401k? Invest up to what your company can match.
    Once you've done that Max out your Roth IRA.
    You should have 3 months worth of paychecks in savings for anything that comes up.
    After that start investing your money else where.
    (Compound interest is what makes you retirement)

I am doing this as if I am assuming SS is gone. I am not going to rely on my government to take care of me. My father was a veteran and I saw how well they took care of him.
    kohr-ah wrote: »
    To answer your question for my case yes. Before I had kids my goal was different.
    Now that I have kids and a family my life revolves and exists to make theirs better.

As for retirement here is current plan if you can.
    Have a matching 401k? Invest up to what your company can match.
    Once you've done that Max out your Roth IRA.
    You should have 3 months worth of paychecks in savings for anything that comes up.
    After that start investing your money else where.
    (Compound interest is what makes you retirement)

I am doing this as if I am assuming SS is gone. I am not going to rely on my government to take care of me. My father was a veteran and I saw how well they took care of him.

Ha ha that sounded like a Dave Ramsey commercial.

I don't invest in a 401k or Roth, I have parents that did that and although they have a lot of money, they don't have the desire to travel or anything because they are old and want to chill. That was the whole point they were contributing to it for lol.

My personal goal is to retire before I die or cant walk lol, so I invested in passive income (property) awhile back and have about $1200-1500 a month coming in now.

Hopefully I can retire soon but my goal is before 40. Only 7 more years!!!! I better get busy, life passes so damn fast!
  • TrucidoTrucido Member Posts: 250 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm just tired of living paycheck to paycheck. I want to be able to live in a nice neighborhood, afford to buy all of the food and furniture that I need. I want to be able to save more than 50 dollars a paycheck.

Also the added benefit of not taking call after call from people who make way more than I do and don't even understand basic computer usage principles. It hurts my souuuul! :P
    2017 Certification Goals
    CompTIA A+ [ ] CompTIA Net+ [ ] CompTIA Sec+ [ ] CCENT [ ] ITIL [ ]
    Trucido wrote: »
    I'm just tired of living paycheck to paycheck. I want to be able to live in a nice neighborhood, afford to buy all of the food and furniture that I need. I want to be able to save more than 50 dollars a paycheck.

Also the added benefit of not taking call after call from people who make way more than I do and don't even understand basic computer usage principles. It hurts my souuuul! :P

I feel you man. Just keep reminding yourself of what your end goal is. The point is not to think like "they" want you to think. Everyone told me to contribute to 401/IR accounts my whole life. I started thinking outside that box and started making important decisions to set me up for my end goal.

I took out my 401k, started a buisness, bought a property with it and offset the penalties with business loss taxes that year. So I took it out free of charge essentially. Obv it is very complex, but it is possible with the right mindset.

Now I'm looking at acquiring two more properties this year and hopefully going to retire by 40.

Keep your head up and always question why people make the decisions they do and always listen. Sometimes you get some amazing advice from the most unexpected people.
  • CMalon02CMalon02 Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My goal is just to be able to live comfortably and have a career I actually enjoy. Pretty much the opposite I experienced in retail.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Getting my kids to be more successful than myself. A great degree after high school so they can soar like an eagle.
    Getting my kids to be more successful than myself. A great degree after high school so they can soar like an eagle.

What would "more successful than yourself" mean?

More knowledge, more freedom, more money, better opportunities?
    I agree that teaching our kids is important.

I teach my son about investing, he has is own savings and checking and knows about properties already lol...he is 4, but already better off than I was at 16 as far as life knowledge is concerned.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Become top 1% income earner.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
    dave330i wrote: »
    Become top 1% income earner.

Nice! Actually my realestate investment mentor is well over that bar.

Just a regular guy, you would never guess he was a multi millionaire lol
    Aside from the Audi R8 he drives ha ha
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What would "more successful than yourself" mean?

More knowledge, more freedom, more money, better opportunities?

All of the above and then some......
  • RoyalRavenRoyalRaven Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Having a family changed quite a few of my original goals.

My goal is to sustain and protect how far I've come. Took out a will and did some estate planning now that I have a family (who would depend on me long term). Best thing I've done in quite some time. There would be less chaos and problems if something were to happen. Re-evaluated insurances and came up with a plan for proper protection to meet those needs.

The other stuff I still think is important (investing, making more $, etc.), but I think the best investment in your family is peace-of-mind of how to deal with things if you weren't in the picture anymore.

My core IT goal is to stay relevant and always having the ability to land stable work. That's my motivator to keep involved in learning new things.
  • RitualRitual Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    FInish my MCSA, finish my Linux Foundations certification, and start on the eCPPT or OSCP pentesting certifications. Learn Assembly and Python better. Revamp my C/C++ skills as they are getting rusty.

Have a job in Security within the next two years.

Right now I am IT Tech Support, making wages that should be below the Federal minimum wage standard.
    2016 goals - eJPT, MCSA Windows 10, something Linux
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nice! Actually my realestate investment mentor is well over that bar.

Just a regular guy, you would never guess he was a multi millionaire lol

That's great for your investment mentor.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
    dave330i wrote: »
    That's great for your investment mentor
    Ha ha tell me about it. Its hard not being envious.

Helped me secure my 4 th property this year and hopefully 2 more by the close of this year. Slowly but surely.

U plan on hitting 500k working? Plenty of options at that point.

I want my investments to work for me and so far they are doing ok but I still owe on my primary res so I have to interject here and there
  • tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I want my Service Desk manager job back along with the life I had. 6 figures, 2 cars, plenty of extra money every month, Addition to that the job/company was great, I would of retired there but company acquired and laid off. That position is rare and with the very few I interviewed for over the year, I apparently S&^K at interviewing.
    I feel like we might be getting trolled for a passive income idea and DDStime is going to be linking his site on how we can be rich by using his system to buy properties soon. icon_wink.gif
  • psaechaopsaechao Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My career goal is to get into network security. I'm still early in my IT career, but I'd like to get into networking soon. I want to eventually start my own MSP company.
    DeVry B.S Network and Communications Management: Completed
    CCENT: Completed
    CCNA R/S: 2019