Job Title for CCNA with basic IT experience

sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey:

So I am taking my ICND2 on Monday, I assume I will pass because, hey, positivity. I've been working in IT for a few years, and have a bachelors. I know my cisco stuff, I just haven't been responsible for it at work. If there's an outage, I report it. That's the extent of my work experience with it. So yes, I know how all things CCNA related work, I just haven't gotten paid to do it.

I've been looking at and applying for a few jobs, but I've been mainly looking at Network Engineer. That seems to be the jobs that relate mostly to CCNA. But most of these seem to NOT be entry level type jobs for people with CCNA. So I was wondering:

Am I searching for the wrong title? If so, what would be the job title one step below this? Just semantics I guess, but just wondering. Or should I just buy load balances and firewalls and home lab my way into interviews, because this is as entry as it gets with CCNA?

Comments

• VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    I would try NOC Technician Tier 1 or Level 1. Some of the more seasoned Network guys on here will chime in I am sure.
    "Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Agreed, I would try a NOC technician or Network Administrator or Junior Administrator. Usually the word Engineer is for higher level roles, but that's not always true of course.

If you have zero experience managing networking equipment you're probably looking at a NOC as your best bet to get experience. Depending on your other experience though, you could get into a hybrid-type role. E.g. you're great at systems admin, find a sysadmin role that has some networking involved. With a CCNA and having experience with systems, companies are probably fine that you haven't managed them much if there's someone else there to teach you a little.
  • sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ah okay. Great. Just the word Administrator seems more senior than Engineer to me lol. Like administrator seems like a boss, and engineer seems like the labor. I will adjust my search!
    Yeah, it just depends. In my experience in the area that I'm in, engineer>administrator, but IT titles are so meaningless that it may be different in your area.
  • DerkDaDerkDerkDaDerk Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Pursuing a Network Engineering job with just a CCNA isn't exactly the easiest thing, especially in the current job market. I would look for a NOC position or Network Analyst position, so that you can get more hands on exposure before making the jump into Network Engineering. Just giving my 2 cents icon_cool.gif
  • Muhammed HMuhammed H Member Posts: 93 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Normally engineering roles involve design, implementation etc and therefore require experience and higher level of knowledge. On the other hand, administrators are generally responsible for day to day maintenance, troubleshoot etc. So as some other above said, NOC tech/administrator would be more appropriate for you at the moment.
    NOC will be the easiest way to get your foot in the door, especially for Networking. Network Engineering usually implies that you have a vast amount of knowledge and experience already established. Plus, you won't have as much pressure on you in a NOC as you would as a Network Engineer starting out.
    Thanks. I've been looking at NOCs. The phone support will make me want to kill myself but hey.. the things we gotta do! I will apply to some as well!
    Just remember, it's a stepping stone towards what you eventually want to do. icon_lol.gif
    If you're motivated enough (keep studying, getting certs, etc) you'll get out of phone support before you know it. You've already got a degree, CCNA(or will have it in two days), and experience, so I'd be surprised if you had to do that for too much longer.
    markulous wrote: »
    If you're motivated enough (keep studying, getting certs, etc) you'll get out of phone support before you know it. You've already got a degree, CCNA(or will have it in two days), and experience, so I'd be surprised if you had to do that for too much longer.

Yes, definitely motivated enough. I've been doing nothing but reading since March 2015. Went from Network+ to CCNA in this time and do not plan on stopping until I have a set career lol.

I just applied here, looks perfect for me:

Junior Desktop Administrator Description:
    • Job Responsibilities
      • Essentially, working on the Help Desk to act as escalation point from Tier 1 and 2
      • Provide technical support Windows, Desktop, hardware, software, and peripherals
      • Build and deploy personal computers and servers
    • Learning/Advancing Responsibilities:
      • We are seeking motivated, driven, intellectuals to join our rapidly advancing company
      • Obtain VMware VCP, Cisco CCNA, Windows MCSE/MCSA, Citrix certifications within 18 months
      • Work alongside two different project teams (Networking and Systems Support) to pick up new skills and learn from on-the-job training
      • Must enjoy working in a team and play well with others
    • Benefits+ training + quarterly profit sharingThe Junior Desktop Admin will be performing two key functions:
      1) Working in a 6 person team environment, providing Tier I and Tier II Help Desk support and Systems Administration, and…
      2) Be a sponge and advance as quickly as possible by working alongside Senior Networking & System Engineers to perform Virtualization (IaaS) Solutions.
      Classroom and certifications are strongly encouraged and paid for, during the first 18 months of employment you can obtain up to 6 certifications.
      This is a full-time, salaried position with health benefits and retirement.
  • sschwietermansschwieterman Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't sell yourself short. Apply to jobs that you believe will challenge you.
    Don't sell yourself short. Apply to jobs that you believe will challenge you.

I would love a challenge while at the same time not be incompetent lol. I know if taught I will be able to catch on quick. So that's my saving grace, if I receive training.