Options

What strategy do you use to study?

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
Do you prefer to read first or watch videos? Maybe skim white pages or just lab. I was curious how you choose to study, I am looking at some different methods to help lower cycle times.

Currently I get a subscription to a video services, Lynda, Nuggets, Pluralsight, etc. Watch it 1 - 2 times, usually a 24 hours investment total. Then I go through the book.

I am aware of the exam objectives but I don't usually study the objects bullet for bullet, I find if my interest drive me I enjoy it and learn it, on the flip side of that I find myself sometimes missing core components of the training.

Comments

• Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    For me I like videos first, then hands on, then reading. Reading for me used to be solely relying on whatever certification book I was reading, but I soon realized authors just summarize official vendor documentation. I find myself reading more official vendor documentation than anything else.

As far as subscriptions I suggest Safari Books Online for their quality video series and the wide range of books that they constantly add, and its cheap. For labs since I work mostly with Linux, I've started to rely on Linux Academy more since the cost is low and the setup/teardown is extremely convenient.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    In my case I am studying for a MS development certification. I noticed they have a lot of videos covering the topics in the exam objectives and write ups. I tried to use the training kit but it was ROUGH......

@V do you watch the videos more than once?
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    In my case I am studying for a MS development certification. I noticed they have a lot of videos covering the topics in the exam objectives and write ups. I tried to use the training kit but it was ROUGH......

@V do you watch the videos more than once?

Yes, only if I've forgotten how to do something or if I can't get something to work. I watch videos to see how something is done and then write notes on how to accomplish the task so I don't have to go back and refer to the videos.
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I will usually read through a book and take notes. Then I will go through and take practice tests and as I take the practice test mark any questions that I'm not 100% sure of the answer and read the explanations of why the correct answer is the correct answer. This helps me see if my reasoning is correct and/or why my reasoning was incorrect. I will also usually buy some sort of simulator(if applicable). For Linux I download dfferent distributions and install them with Virtualbox and mess around with them as well as using LinuxAcademy.
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Depends on quality. I usually can't stand videos, but OSCP videos are of a surprisingly good quality. Can't stand books either.

Test banks work best for me as I have a high motivation to find out why I was wrong if I was and also learning by doing also works okay.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I like to first get a nice overview of a topic with videos or quick reference guides. Then I'll do a deep dive and hands on. I feel it helps to absorb the deep stuff when you already have a decent understanding of the basics.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've recently changed my ways to give myself more "introduction / overview" to the material at first. So I will read all the way through a book first, watch some videos after, then re-read taking detailed notes and other reinforcement such as labbing, etc.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    9bits9bits Member Posts: 138 ■■□□□□□□□□
    1) Read text
    2) Watch training videos
    3) Go through practice questions/practice exams