Pay scale

ensaneensane Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
So quite awhile ago, thanks to this forum. I landed my first IT job. I've been working there at a help desk for about a year now. I'm looking for some advice about pay rate. Shortly after I started there (maybe 3 or 4 months) I discovered I make roughly half the salary of everyone else in the same position and to this day I am still the least paid employee there.

I have little to no experience with salary negotiation, so I approached my manager, simply asking what the steps would be to perhaps change subcontractors on the contract. The response was: because of my title (apparently I was hired as a "network administrator" even though the duties are of a help desk) and because my subcontractor is tier 2 support, I am only allowed to move to the main contractor, if at all.

However, to do that I would have to move into management or a technical position that requires years more experience and papers than I could provide.

So if you've made it through that, my question is: is this a "suck it up and keep working", a "ask the subcontractor for a large raise", or a "potentially visit Indeed.com" situation in your opinion?

Comments

• thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think it's time to start looking for a new job. I personally wouldn't bother with the other options you listed, except for sucking it up and working until I got an offer letter in hand for a new job.
  • sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Work until you can leave.
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah I agree with Thomas, you're better off going somewhere else. If you're stuck at that position and they aren't paying you more you're just spinning your wheels there
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Easiest way to make more money? Apply somewhere else! Hopefully you've added on a cert or 2 during your time, combine with your year of experience now, should be easy to find another job with a nice pay jump.
  • Tekn0logyTekn0logy Member Posts: 113 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Make sure you compare apples to apples. The individuals that you say are receiving twice your pay;
    • Do they have a degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or MIS?
    • Do they have a specialized or Advanced degree in specific tech field?
    • Do they have the same certifications that you do?
    All things equal, get some certifications under your belt, icon_study.gif make sure your CV is updated and visit Dice.com...
    Hope you find someplace that values you as a person and your experience. Good luck! icon_cool.gif
  • ensaneensane Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Tekn0logy wrote: »
    Make sure you compare apples to apples. The individuals that you say are receiving twice your pay;
    • Do they have a degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or MIS?
    • Do they have a specialized or Advanced degree in specific tech field?
    • Do they have the same certifications that you do?
    All things equal, get some certifications under your belt, icon_study.gif make sure your CV is updated and visit Dice.com...
    Hope you find someplace that values you as a person and your experience. Good luck! icon_cool.gif

Everyone there has at least a sec+ and a security clearance since it's DoD, not sure what specific people have besides that. But for reference, the lowest paid person I've seen makes about $10/hr more than me. I might try to get a cert that goes towards an actual net admin but not sure which yet. Just now got done paying medical bills (yay!).

Thanks for the opinions. Also, if anyone has views on networking certs I'm all ears. Only ones I know of are CCNA and N+, but I might be a bit beyond N+ already...
  • sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ensane wrote: »
    Everyone there has at least a sec+ and a security clearance since it's DoD, not sure what specific people have besides that. But for reference, the lowest paid person I've seen makes about $10/hr more than me. I might try to get a cert that goes towards an actual net admin but not sure which yet. Just now got done paying medical bills (yay!).

Thanks for the opinions. Also, if anyone has views on networking certs I'm all ears. Only ones I know of are CCNA and N+, but I might be a bit beyond N+ already...

There are tons, depends on the route you wish to go.