Was this dumb of me?

wrfortiscuewrfortiscue Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I'm working helpdesk and I applied for a internal firewall position. They liked my resume but I have no experience just a ccna security along with other certs. Problem is I don't use these skills and forgot most things. I'm also terrified of interviews but I push myself like this because I'm getting depressed not moving forward. My anxiety is killing me because I'm going to look foolish lol.

Comments

• PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I don't think so. What's the worst that can happen?
  • wrfortiscuewrfortiscue Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't think so. What's the worst that can happen?

Higher ups no I'm not ready to move up, I get butthurt and my self esteem crashes? Lol better than giving up though...
    Well, if you don't get it, it probably wouldn't be the first time someone said "no" to you, and it definitely won't be the last. Don't ever pass on an opportunity if there's a chance it will work out. I passed on one last month and I'm kicking myself for not trying for it.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Refresh your CCNA security knowledge. Be up front and tell them that you don't use the skills hence you forgot a lot but you are very interested and want to move to this area ....they will understand
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• jacksonrjacksonr Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What would have been dumb, is to not apply and sit there in Helpdesk feeling down, deflated and thinking What If.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
  • anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Be honest. Tell them you don't have the experience; however, you are willing to do everything to catch up. Sell yourself and your ability to learn and adapt quickly.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    How will you find out if you don't go for it?

I'm 3 weeks into a new role and I was slightly concerned before I started of a few elements. Now I'm here I'm pretty confident I can achieve big results.
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    [h=1]“If somebody offers you an amazing opportunity but you are not sure you can do it, say yes – then learn how to do it later!” - Richard Branson[/h]
    Just fake it until you make it.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
    Thanks for the replies. I'll update on Thursday :)
    well interview is 21 hours away. I went from being scared/nervous and hoping to survive the interview, to nervous/anxious/confident and "I want this job bad so I'm going to get it" mentality.
  • TrucidoTrucido Member Posts: 250 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Convey confidence, let them know what tools you've been working with and functions you've been doing, and that some aspects of your knowledge are rusty but not completely lost...
    2017 Certification Goals
    CompTIA A+ [ ] CompTIA Net+ [ ] CompTIA Sec+ [ ] CCENT [ ] ITIL [ ]
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So I'm working helpdesk and I applied for a internal firewall position. They liked my resume but I have no experience just a ccna security along with other certs. Problem is I don't use these skills and forgot most things. I'm also terrified of interviews but I push myself like this because I'm getting depressed not moving forward. My anxiety is killing me because I'm going to look foolish lol.

i used to Hate "technical interviews". the thought of BOMBING them (and the embarrassment) was pretty disheartening.

But, i eventually learned that "technical interviews" are the BEST.
    For some reason, all these employers always ask the Same type of questions (for that particular role).

So... Everytime i BOMB out... i just wrote down all the questions; and went and researched to learn the answers.
    End result: i become (just a bit) more knowledgable.

Long story short:
    Don't be afraid to BOMB; but DO write down ALL the questions you get asked.
    Figure out the answers.
    Then go apply for other roles at other employers.
    you WILL eventually get there :]
  • KrekenKreken Member Posts: 284
    How did you do on the interview?
    Did you do the exercises I suggested for the preparation?
  • jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Get your butt in a lab before the iview. Brush up on the skills and cram for the iview. That is what I do when I have an interview regarding a technology I have not used in awhile. That way it is fresh and I can talk about the tech in the interview.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Its an opportunity and up to you to either take full advantage of it or not. How much do you want to stay on the Help Desk. You think those atrophying skills are simply going to repopulate from the Ether? You studied for an exam for a reason. Plan to see if it was time well spent or settle in for a career of: "How may I help you...?"

- b/eads
    I did good! Jr firewall position so I have a good chance. I knew 3/5 of the questions but they said I did well. I asked questions too. I hope I get it!
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I did good! Jr firewall position so I have a good chance. I knew 3/5 of the questions but they said I did well. I asked questions too. I hope I get it!

*crossing fingers for you*
    Man I really, REALLY, want this job. This is it, this is something I want to do as my career. I am here knocking on the door, just waiting for someone to let me in. I have had MANY struggles to get to where I am at, it's almost comical with how my luck goes. Inside my head, I feel I am really pressing for this job.

Will I get it? Who knows, tune in to see if the gods will stop toying with me and let me catch a big break, especially with my first kid due in 2 months ;)
  • bettsy584bettsy584 Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Decide if you really want to be "cornered" into only doing firewalls....
    bettsy584 wrote: »
    Decide if you really want to be "cornered" into only doing firewalls....

cornered? Nah it's more widespread than just that.
  • bettsy584bettsy584 Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Fair enough, I would always avoid specifically titled job's (maybe incorrectly). I do not like the thought of only being the "firewall guy", or the "VMware guy". I've been a consultant in some of they places and it does not look appealing to me, personally. That's what I meant.

For example I don't think (unless you work for a multi-national) with 100-1000's of firewall devices that a "firewall" job would do you good, you have to see how all the components that make up an infrastructure work to appreciate how the thing hangs together.

Just my opinion of course.