Just curious

beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm fairly new to the virtualization world. Background started with a lot of Nortel Telecommunications programming and basic IT support jobs followed like tech support, data center monitoring, and now telecom/network infrastructure work. I was planning on getting back on the Cisco track for ccna and maybe ccna data center. I started hearing a lot about AWS certification. I guess my question is if I want to go town the virtualization/cloud track from a networking prospective would it make sense to just get the VMware networking or maybe VMware data center track? Seems like AWS is more DevOps stuff. I love Data Center and networking. I don't know if I'm wording all of this right just trying to figure some stuff out I guess.

Comments

• LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    I would avoid AWS simply because it pigeon holes you to do a specific thing. I would also avoid vmware networking as there are not a lot of companies using nsx.

CCNA imo would be a solid start for networking. It's widely known and respected and should help you land a job at any cisco shop. There is juniper but the majority of companies right now are cisco.

Vmware is a close second buy not every company uses vmware for virtualization.

Do what interests you the most, but for a pure market play to get into IT CCNA will give you a better chance. Not because of the certification but because more companies are cisco compared to juniper. I think vmware is still the market majority but not by much. Oh and to be vmware certified you have to take a $3,000 class.
  • beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ok thanks so much. I'm feeling the Cisco stuff right now. I may do the Collaboration Path because of my telecom background
    Collaboration is huge, most Cisco shops use it for telepresence and quality engineers in that field are hard to find IMO.
  • burfectburfect Member Posts: 128
    Lexluethar wrote: »
    I would avoid AWS simply because it pigeon holes you to do a specific thing. I would also avoid vmware networking as there are not a lot of companies using nsx.

CCNA imo would be a solid start for networking. It's widely known and respected and should help you land a job at any cisco shop. There is juniper but the majority of companies right now are cisco.

Vmware is a close second buy not every company uses vmware for virtualization.

Do what interests you the most, but for a pure market play to get into IT CCNA will give you a better chance. Not because of the certification but because more companies are cisco compared to juniper. I think vmware is still the market majority but not by much. Oh and to be vmware certified you have to take a $3,000 class.

? As far as hypervisor technologies go VMWare is still light years ahead of everyone else, even Hyper-V.
    Regardless of "light-years ahead" it would be foolish to say they own more than 80% of the market. I know in my area a half dozen companies that use hyper-v instead of vmware and that's just my area. On the flip side cisco has a much larger market share over their next competitor juniper.

So regardless of technological prowess you have to admit cisco has more market share, meaning he has a better chance of hitting a job with a CCNA imo.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Personally I think it is irrelevant who has what market share. If you look into certifications then you should go with a vendor whose technology you like.

There is no point in getting certified for the sake of 'who is bigger etc.' ... Everything and anything can change, but one thing is in unlikely to change under normal circumstances - you have to work for a few decades until retirement (presumptions here about your age, sorry).

So do what you enjoy. If you got no clue yet, get a trial of safari / pluralsight etc. And read samples. What's the point in choosing VMware over Hyper-V or Cisco over Junior if you effin hate it.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
    Thanks so much guys, yea I guess it comes down to what you want. Cisco is all over the place but I guess it's all in getting into an eparea you enjoy. I feel that something in the voice or data center area would be the best fit for me. Then maybe Cisco Cloud or Service Provider. A lot or recruiters tell me I should go the AWS cloud route but the thing is what do you do once you get it? I think I will stay in the Cisco world for now and then move into Cloud technology as it relates to Cisco if that makes any sense. Man my brain is swelling, overload. Lol.
  • wrfortiscuewrfortiscue Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with the poster above. Do what you love, otherwise you will just hate life.
    :) Yea tell me about it. They just had me start working on help desk stuff along with my telecom/network stuff. The company was just bought, lots changes. They will be migrating to Cisco VOIP which will be cool for me.