SANS Work Study Notifications

elorionelorion Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Anyone else wondering what is going on with the work study program? I'm used to getting the notification email over a month out...now they are under 14 days it seems. This leaves little time to arrange stuff. Very annoying.

Comments

• iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    They fill work study facilitators positions based on class size. My guess is that the class you are assigned to just reached enough enrollment to warrant a second facilitator so that's why you received short notification. Ask your co-facilitator what date they received their email ;)
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Nah I don't think that's it iBrokeIT. I've been speaking with a director there who was an event manager when I did Work Study last year about the same issue as I've not received any email about the Virginia Beach event coming up in 4 weeks. His first communication told me that department was in transition and they were running behind. Another member here only got 10 days notice. I spoke with him again last week and he said he was sending them a note and I should hear back by Friday. I've still not received anything from them. I just think they are either short staffed or busy changing the processes/systems and are running behind.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Less than 2 weeks notice is ridiculous. Those of us depending on approval from the corporate overlords need way more time that that.
    @cyberguypr Yea I agree. It's not an issue for me as I will be staying with family who already are aware I applied, and I'm paying myself since my global financial firm employer can't seem to find a few bucks for training for their employees icon_rolleyes.gif. On top of that, I'm waiting for my manager to ask the security director if I can get paid to go to job related training and not burn vacation for it, especially since I'm paying for it myself. I said since they aren't paying for any training it's the least they could do. If I have to pay for the training and burn my vacation time I'll be answering the many emails or calls I get for jobs ASAP.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow i know last year i had a month notice it worked out I am applied for Las Vegas but i need to save some money up to go I pay up front once i get my company pays me back with training money we have. I am looking forward to going to Las Vegas
    Free Reading : History Books
  • stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well i found out about 11:30 pm that i have not been accepted to SANS Network 2016 I will try for CDI in DC as my next option. In away this is good for me I save money I can self study maybe. I wanted to plan a vacation trip to DC this spring and going before hand to training there would help in planning may even get a good deal on a hotel rate while i am there. I am not really bump because i have until June 30 2017 to find some more training.
    Free Reading : History Books
  • cavijayancavijayan Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    SANS notified me about 2 months in notice. SANS Event is in APAC.
  • IaHawkIaHawk Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I always thought you could select what course you wanted to facilitate, is this not true?

I'm really only interested in GCIH at this point.
    You rank them in your order of preference. IIRC the application forces you to select more than one, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Work Study is such a great deal that most of us will always line up a 2nd, 3rd or even 4th option.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    IaHawk wrote: »
    I always thought you could select what course you wanted to facilitate, is this not true?

When you submit your application, it asks you to rank in order which courses you would like to do most. You don't always get your top pick though. It depends on the size of the classes if they need someone in there.
  • TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cavijayan wrote: »
    SANS notified me about 2 months in notice. SANS Event is in APAC.

Met the director for that area and he's on point.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
    If you get notified late they usually help with choice. If its something in advance you're kinda stuck.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
    IaHawk wrote: »

You have to select a certain number of courses and rank them from 1 to 10 (could be less depending on the event). They select you for what they want to.
    Just received an email for work study in Vegas which is 4 full weeks away.

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
    Cool. Which class?
  • IaHawkIaHawk Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just submitted my request to my boss for SEC504. If he approves, I will be able to take the class this fall...if not, I'll have to take my chances with Work Study and hopefully I get my 1st choice. We will see...
  • billyr2009billyr2009 Member Posts: 120
    wow you guys are lucky you keep getting selected. I have been applying for facilitator on the west coast, but just haven't been able to get one. I felt I had more opportunities back east. Is there anything that helps in getting selected?
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    billyr2009 wrote: »
    wow you guys are lucky you keep getting selected. I have been applying for facilitator on the west coast, but just haven't been able to get one. I felt I had more opportunities back east. Is there anything that helps in getting selected?
    I have the same problem. Would like any tips on getting selected
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I was lucky to have a person I work with know one of the instructors, and they got them to give me a recommendation. Or I am assuming I wouldn't have got in this year for my first time. Hoping since I've been in one it they are more likely to choose me again.
  • tt0000tt0000 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Which one did you Volunteer for? I did the Vegas one and nothing yet still. Have you gotten anything yet?
    It has been years since I have done it but they use to give you a 1-2 month heads up. On the app it said 4-6 weeks for the event
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I got selected for one last year but by the time they told me about it I was already past the time to get approval from my director, was bummed. Hoping it comes around again soon but my local city isn't showing up on the upcoming events yet.
  • cavijayancavijayan Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    No special tips.

Just apply for as many as possible within your comfortable travel distance.

I have applied for 6 and got rejected for 1. Accepted for 1.
    Also apply for one of the smaller conferences in the area. The bigger ones they want people who have done it before because its hectic.

I'll be doing FOR408 in Vegas. Contract has been signed, approved and paid.

I imagine that those have actually been to a SANS conference, have a GIAC certification, and have previously did work study get priority over those that have not. I would also expect that there would be high competition for work study positions for popular classes like GCIH and GPEN with the lead course authors.

• LWB250LWB250 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I realize this thread is a little dated, but thought I would add my experience to it.

I was selected for work study at SANS Orlando this year with nothing more than 2-3 years in the industry and a Security+ certification. To say I was stunned to be selected was an understatement. I did one of the 400 level courses, which might have had something to do with it as I'm sure most SANS work study applicants are looking to serve in higher level courses, meaning the newbies get the low level/easy stuff.

I have applied for two work study positions next year in the area and hope that my prior experience in Orlando will help with getting selected. We'll see.