Birthday Present for Boyfriend

katesmith92katesmith92 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, new to the forum.

Not sure if this is in the right place or not but feel free to move :)

My boyfriend will shortly be finishing off his CCNA certification and then will look at completing his JNCIA. He seems to have a real keen interest in learning about networking.

Because of that I want to get him something relevent to help him with his studying or something IP networking related that would be a interest to him (magazine subscription maybe?)

I've seen a couple of books about JNCIA I was thinking about whch I may get but just wondering if you guys have any ideas? I don't want to spend too much (£50?) so hopefully there'll be something suitable.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Not really related to what she said but would get her at least 10,000 brownie points icon_smile.gif
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just hope your boyfriend is not on here :)
  • katesmith92katesmith92 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hopefully not icon_thumright.gif

Any ideas guys?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Not sure what your budget is but maybe something like this.

All Access Pass - INE
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Am I the only one who would be disappointed with another book to study as a bday present? And I say that as someone who likes to buy books on tech stuff.
  • TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Am I the only one who would be disappointed with another book to study as a bday present? And I say that as someone who likes to buy books on tech stuff.

Depends on the book. I share my wish list with my girlfriend for a reason. I'd be down for some book on there because I know I'd buy them eventually. Bonus points if its on my yearly goal to complete.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
    I believe he has access to this from his company, thank you though :)

Are there any magazine subscriptions? Or anything that can be used for a hobby perhaps?

I really don't know haha
    Not sure what your budget is but maybe something like this.

All Access Pass - INE

I believe he has access to this from his company, thank you though icon_smile.gif

Are there any magazine subscriptions? Or anything that can be used for a hobby perhaps?

I really don't know haha
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Techy/Geeky and not much network related.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
    chrisone wrote: »
    Techy/Geeky and not much network related.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/

I think he has one already and brely uses it icon_sad.gif

Is there something similar you know of for networking? Sorry if I'm sounding a bit silly, this really isn't my dicipline
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    when in doubt, i guess you can check here.

https://www.thinkgeek.com/

there is always something geeky/techy you can buy there.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Plus one with Chrisone

If you can get a gift card or something like that from thinkgeek, that would be cool.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    and sounds like the OP has a little IT background as well. so what is your story if you don't mind me asking:). i say this because i have been married for over 20 years and my wife has no idea what an IP address is...lol
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Maybe look at ifixit. They have some interesting tools, but I'm kind of weird like that. Maybe a one year subscription to VIRL? My only concern is if he is almost done with CCNA and is moving onto JNCIA then it might not help him there, unless you think he might like to play around with it just to play around with it.
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If he's into infosec a nifty magazine subscription would be 2600.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    If you are looking for something specific for JNCIA, then I'd suggest posting in the Juniper Certifications. There is probably some cheap Juniper hardware, or a book or online course that would be in your budget.

The other thing which might be generically ok (assuming that he hasn't got one, but has some network hardware) is a desktop rack like this.

I'm not sure about magazines as anything niche or cutting edge tends to be online and free access these days.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Save your £50 and just give him a hall pass icon_cheers.gif
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
    Is there a well recognised magazine subscription that isn'tonline?

I'm UK based as well if I hasn't mentioned it already.

Thanks for your replies so far, detinely considering some of these :)
    I've subty asked and he will 90% of the time use Cisco at work.

To ensure his CCNA knowlege is cemented I have decided to get him some cheap layer 3 switches approx £30 each) to add to the Layer 2 swtiches he has at the moment :)
  • dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ah-ha. you just confirmed my thoughts. so what is your IT background...lol. just askin'
    dhay13 wrote: »
    ah-ha. you just confirmed my thoughts. so what is your IT background...lol. just askin'

I don't really have one lol.

I did ICT at GCSE so touched on the layer model there and I know layers 1-3.

My bf has studied really hard for CCNA and as with all things unless you keep at it it will just disappear from your mind. He was really keen and wanted to explain what I did which the majority has gone out of my head haha :)

I know you can get a Layer 3 switch so I've had a Google and I think a couple of 3550s will be ok :)
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Amazon gift card...gift that keeps on giving...icon_thumright.gif
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I don't really have one lol.

I did ICT at GCSE so touched on the layer model there and I know layers 1-3.

My bf has studied really hard for CCNA and as with all things unless you keep at it it will just disappear from your mind. He was really keen and wanted to explain what I did which the majority has gone out of my head haha :)

I know you can get a Layer 3 switch so I've had a Google and I think a couple of 3550s will be ok :)

Get him one of these for the switches:

On-Stage Stands RS7030 Table Top Rack Stand | Sweetwater.com

Not just practical, but looks much nicer as well.

edit:

Also, be careful about model numbers when ordering switches. They do make fiber only switches which do not have any "normal" patch cable ports on them which can be a real bummer if your not aware and they show up for him.
    If my wife ever happens to read this forum, don't ever get me things I need to study/work related for my birthday. I will buy those on my own. Get me something fun (subtle hint: drone) icon_thumright.gif