CASP-PASSED my Guide on how to do it

Z0sickxZ0sickx Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello all,

can finally say now i am CASP certified a few weeks ago and i wanted to share my experience on my thoughts on how to prepare and what are good indicators your ready for the real test.

First books you will need:

Sybex-COMPTIA advance Security Practitioner Study Guide: Exam CAS-002 /edition 2
Pearson COMPTIA Advanced Security Practitioner (CASP) CAS-002 Cert guide

Training Sites
IT Pro TV CASP (comes with 3 preset Transcender exams as well) (has labs)
Cybrary.it

If i could go back in time and redo everything i would have first started with buying a subscription with IT pro TV website and go through that. that website REALLY helped ME understand the concepts and visually showed some of the concepts i had trouble understanding. After that, read the book, don't worry about understanding about topics at this point your trying to absorb all the lovely topics you will have on the test. Phase 2 read the same book again and grasp the concept, it should take you longer and you should be hand writing as you read along once your done with that....you guessed it READ IT AGAIN.

now move to the 2nd book and do the same steps as above.

now that you have read both books go to the end of each chapter and take those practice test questions, take note of the ones you did wrong and ask yourself if it was because you didn't read it right or you don't fully understand the concept, if the latter go back and read the topic again or better you should go on youtube and see if having someone else show/explain the concept is even better. rinse and repeat for all other chapters

Register your books and download both books Exam Engines and take the Practice exams. If you are scoring between 70-80% or better for each domain your know you understand the topics, if not then take those exam results and restudy the domains giving you issue, then take another preset exam

my experience is 5 years in IT security as an Engineer managing an enterprise vulnerability tool for a medium sized agency. so a lot of the topics were somewhat new to me. I studied for at least 5 hours each weekday and 10+hours on weekends for 3 months, with my full time job i there were times i had to deal with work then my studies. Yes life sucked for those 3 months it was work--->eat--->study--->sleep-->repeat, i did not party, i did not go out much at all, no distractions of a gf either. this is how you pass this exam in 3 months. since most of you probably don't have time constraints you won't have to go to these extremes i had to do.

back to the exam...even when i did well with all those practice test, it still comes no where close to the actual exam. this test shows you know mercy and just starts off with trying to kick your ass, there are no bones thrown to you, do not expect any easy questions i.e

what is the best encryption for video?
A.RC4
B. RC5
C. H.235
D. AES

the actual exam will attack you from many different angles its understanding the 1-2 sentences with the important information to get the right answer. read the questions carefully. the SIMS are not as bad as the actual questions.

now if you will excuse me i have a C|EH exam to study for

Comments

• ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Z0sickx wrote: »
    Hello all,

can finally say now i am CASP certified a few weeks ago and i wanted to share my experience on my thoughts on how to prepare and what are good indicators your ready for the real test.

First books you will need:

Sybex-COMPTIA advance Security Practitioner Study Guide: Exam CAS-002 /edition 2
    Pearson COMPTIA Advanced Security Practitioner (CASP) CAS-002 Cert guide

Training Sites
    IT Pro TV CASP (comes with 3 preset Transcender exams as well) (has labs)
    Cybrary.it

If i could go back in time and redo everything i would have first started with buying a subscription with IT pro TV website and go through that. that website REALLY helped ME understand the concepts and visually showed some of the concepts i had trouble understanding. After that, read the book, don't worry about understanding about topics at this point your trying to absorb all the lovely topics you will have on the test. Phase 2 read the same book again and grasp the concept, it should take you longer and you should be hand writing as you read along once your done with that....you guessed it READ IT AGAIN.

now move to the 2nd book and do the same steps as above.

now that you have read both books go to the end of each chapter and take those practice test questions, take note of the ones you did wrong and ask yourself if it was because you didn't read it write or you don't fully understand the concept, if the latter go back and read the topic again or better you should go on youtube and see if having someone show you the concept is even better. rinse and repeat for all other chapters

Register your books and download both books Exam Engines and take the Practice exams. If you are scoring between 70-80% or better for each domain your know you understand the topics, if not then take those exam results and restudy the domains giving you issue, then take another preset exam

my experience is 5 years in IT security as an Engineer managing an enterprise vulnerability tool for a medium sized agency. so a lot of the topics were somewhat new to me. I studied for at least 5 hours each weekday and 10+hours on weekends for 3 months, with my full time job i there were times i had to deal with work then my studies. Yes life sucked for those 3 months it was work--->eat--->study--->sleep-->repeat, i did not party, i did not go out much at all, no distractions of a gf either. this is how you pass this exam in 3 months. since most of you probably don't have time constraints you won't have to go to these extremes i had to do.

back to the exam...even when i did well with all those practice test, it still comes no where close to the actual exam. this test shows you know mercy and just starts off with trying to kick your ass, there are no bones thrown to you, do not expect any easy questions i.e

what is the best encryption for video?
    A.RC4
    B. RC5
    C. H.235
    D. AES

the actual exam will attack you from many different angles its understanding the 1-2 sentences with the important information to get the right answer. read the questions carefully. the SIMS are not as bad as the actual questions.

now if you will excuse me i have a C|EH exam to study for

Congrats man! Welcome to the club. This is a tough cert. Many props!
  • AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    Thanks, I'm working on that one now. I have the Pearson book and I am using Skillsoft training as well. I try to use the internet on topics I do not understand. I am shooting for October 13th. I go to school as well as have a full time job so I try to squeeze in 2-3 hours of studying per day.
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • Goteki54Goteki54 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Awesome Job,Congrats!!:)
    CompTIA A+, Network+, Security +., SSCP
  • owieczka_maowieczka_ma Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on your pass. Well done!
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! One tough cert to get!
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • CertifiedMonkeyCertifiedMonkey Member Posts: 172 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Thanks for the in depth write up. I'll keep this post in mind when I have some time to tackle this cert.
  • arthurmoretharthurmoreth Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    First of all ... Congrats man icon_cheers.gif! Casp is an dificult Archivement !!!! i´m planing to take mine until october.

Can you give me more information about this trancenders of IT Pro TV Site ? Is it helpfull ? i´m thinking about sign for a month only just to get the transcenders. i need to do some simulations, just to know if i´m going in the right way.

Thanks
  • Z0sickxZ0sickx Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    First of all ... Congrats man icon_cheers.gif! Casp is an dificult Archivement !!!! i´m planing to take mine until october.

Can you give me more information about this trancenders of IT Pro TV Site ? Is it helpfull ? i´m thinking about sign for a month only just to get the transcenders. i need to do some simulations, just to know if i´m going in the right way.

Thanks

I liked the transcender exams, i didn't really find the labs to useful but you may have a different opinion
  • Kuvuli21Kuvuli21 Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just passed SYO-401 two weeks ago, While it is still fresh should I get the materials listed and give it a go? It seemed a bit like Security+ tried to throw some harder questions in. How much different is this from SYO-401 exam?
    Currently studying: 70-680 Windows 7: Configuring

2017-2018 goals: 70-685, Server 2012, CWNP, SSCP and/or CCNA.
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Kuvuli21 wrote: »
    I just passed SYO-401 two weeks ago, While it is still fresh should I get the materials listed and give it a go? It seemed a bit like Security+ tried to throw some harder questions in. How much different is this from SYO-401 exam?

It's all applied knowledge. It's not just memorizing a few more facts. It's doable, but it is definitely a more advanced exam than SEC+. I encourage you to go after it, but be prepared.