Simplivity

DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
Has anyone here been using Simplivity yet? - we just demo'd the product and are in motion to purchase it for a 650+ VM datacenter in a active-passive (active-active is in the final stages) 10G PPP bound infrastructure with a 5 minute RTPO. VMware is my domain and it's pretty neat.

Curious if anyone has used it before?

Comments

• ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Deathmage wrote: »
    Has anyone here been using Simplivity yet? - we just demo'd the product and are in motion to purchase it for a 650+ VM datacenter in a active-passive (active-active is in the final stages) 10G PPP bound infrastructure with a 5 minute RTPO. VMware is my domain and it's pretty neat.

Curious if anyone has used it before?

I used to work with a guy who is an architect for them now. That whole modular approach seems pretty sweet.
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Haven't used it but have seen 2 presentations. Some of the things I saw were hard to believe, like recover from europe in minutes and impossibly low data transfer for so many copies of data.

Overall it's the most intriguing hyperconverged system I've seen and hope to see more at VMworld.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I looked at it for my HCI solution and it seems great, one thing that shyed me away is as best I could tell when you add a node to the cluster it doesn't automatically strip the storage set on to the new node, so I have hear their customers have regular support engagements to re-balance the storage side of this, otherwise you end up with stripe islands on the storage side. I confirmed this at VMworld. Ask your pre-sales team.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    We looked at it last year. Too bleeding edge for the comfort of the PTB here.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...