Want to branch off from Sys Admin to Software/Programming

thisdudehenrythisdudehenry Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
I believe this is the right thread to ask which cert to choose? Seems more like of a programming language question.
Currently in the private sector and I came from the military. Currently doing system admin work with A+ , S+ and an associates degree and pretty comfortable. I am wanting to branch off into the programming side and not sure how to start. I was looking into Java and C++. Around my area there is a big market for those 2 programming languages. It seems there are lots wanting Java experience but require 9+ additional sub? languages that go along with it. Most C++ jobs just require good knowledge of it or know C as well.

I would like to study / learn on my own and get certified. I would apply my knowledge in my current job build up a portfolio as well. Just not sure which cert to focus on to be honest. I am currently in enrolled in school for an additional resume buffer. In a few more semesters I will have the choice of Java 1 and 2, C++ 1 and 2 or Java 1 with mobile programming. There is a slight market out there as well for mobile development as a nice side job / hobby.

Comments

• ChinookChinook Member Posts: 206
    I believe Java is the most popular language in the world (I have no idea why though). Once you learn once language you'll find that understanding others isn't that difficult. Microsoft has some MTA certifications which are geared toward development. These might be a good place to start. Understanding code structure, etc is boring...but vital.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/learning/mta-certification.aspx
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There really isn't much in terms of certifications for programming languages. If I was looking to get into Programming from a Sys Admin role. I would self study and learn a program language. Then make an application that you could potentially use at work to automate something or speed a process up. Then apply for a new job as a programmer somewhere and use that application as an example of your programming skills and that shows that you have done programming in a business environment.
  • thisdudehenrythisdudehenry Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There really isn't much in terms of certifications for programming languages. If I was looking to get into Programming from a Sys Admin role. I would self study and learn a program language. Then make an application that you could potentially use at work to automate something or speed a process up. Then apply for a new job as a programmer somewhere and use that application as an example of your programming skills and that shows that you have done programming in a business environment.

Correct and that's what I want to do. There so much outdated ways of doing stuff here like keeping track of inventory, excel sheets that can be brought up to speed better etc. But I don't know what cert is valued more along side a portfolio of projects. I dabbled with Java and it seems a bit easier to get caught up to speed with. When I used www.dice.com to check out what kind of jobs there are they also added 5+ more languages to that. It was a bit daunting but when searching for something like C++ it basically asked to know it well enough to handle projects

Chinook wrote: »
    I believe Java is the most popular language in the world (I have no idea why though). Once you learn once language you'll find that understanding others isn't that difficult. Microsoft has some MTA certifications which are geared toward development. These might be a good place to start. Understanding code structure, etc is boring...but vital.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/learning/mta-certification.aspx

I feel like Id rather save money and learn it on my own and taking the cert for the programming language. I know some basics, I messed around with some C# and Java. I see that they have stepping stone certs which I would rather avoid.
  • ChinookChinook Member Posts: 206
    Well certifications are less of an issue in the world of development. One thing you might do is volunteer your time working on an open source project or just develop your own project.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I wouldn't worry about those jobs asking for 5+ programming languages. Once you learn a couple languages, or even one, it makes the other ones ALOT easier to understand and learn.

Love this video on how this guy explains IT job postings:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G3kQyqMFpQ
  • thisdudehenrythisdudehenry Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't worry about those jobs asking for 5+ programming languages. Once you learn a couple languages, or even one, it makes the other ones ALOT easier to understand and learn.

Love this video on how this guy explains IT job postings:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G3kQyqMFpQ

Chinook wrote: »
    Well certifications are less of an issue in the world of development. One thing you might do is volunteer your time working on an open source project or just develop your own project.

Thanks for the help guys, this Reddit Thread helped as well.