Reassessing my career

wrfortiscuewrfortiscue Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
So basically I am at the point where I am waiting to hear back if I got an internal position or not. Been trying to move up from helpdesk which I have been at for 4 years. Now, even though I have a good chance of getting it I am looking past like I did not get it. So, I need to evaluate myself and really see what direction I need to go in and what skills I need to gain. I need some input from you guys as well. Basically more or less what kind of IT jobs are out there and what skills are needed for each?

For example let's say I want to be a systems admin in windows, good certs/skills needed will be windows 2012 re, Active directory, powershell scripting, microsoft office etc.

What about a network engineer? I have a CCNA/CCNA security, can I get some kind of junior role with this? Do I need other certs or skills?

Security side. Can I even get a junior role outside of my current job? (the job i applied is a junior firewall position). Also what kind of jobs are in network security? Ethical hacking, pen testing, etc.

Linux admin? what skills needed, any junior roles?
linux security?

I wouldnt mind doing forensics, or network hardening which is why I REALLY want this job, but I also wouldn't mind being a windows/linux admin either. So whatever job I get I will probably learn the skills to be good at it and go from there, just not sure how to even get to the next step. I feel like I will be in helpdesk forever lol. Funny thing is they say I do well in my interviews and yet I felt that was my weak point, and I worked on it.

Comments

• beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    To be honest, you really need the admin work for a few years before trying to go into security. Security is rapidly evolving beyond just needing some advanced tech skills and needing more and more esoteric business skills. Today I am finishing a guidance on interview and investigation case law with regard to investigating major incidents. The last yahoo that tried here ended up costing the org several million in damages but I see the same problems whenever I am engaged for these situations after the fact. That is simply one example.

There are a number of entry level forensics books available on Amazon. I would heartily encourage you to go through one before investing in a real course as forensics is both weird and expensive. I enjoy doing some but couldn't do real forensics as a dedicated job all day. I'd kill myself after a while.

You should be able to obtain a junior or entry level LAN/WAN position, likely contract with the CCNA (Security) certs so don't forget most of those roles are going to be C2H or Contract to hire and not walk in off the street and into full time.

You've been on the support desk for four years when the average tenure is closer to 10 months. Guessing you have a high tolerance to boring repetitive workflow. This is both good and bad. Good in that it shows you can stick to an uneventful routine for years. Bad because its also shows a lack of ambition to move ahead with your career. Comes down to how well you can spin your career path.

I'll let the others go down the MCSA/MCSE path as it doesn't sound like your heart is headed in that direction.

- b/eads
  • mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well if you already have your CCNA certs, it would be natural to put those to use in your next job, if that's what you want to do. You can probably get some kind of job with a CCNA, provided you didn't forget everything you learned already.
    Otherwise your best bet is to get some sort of baseline Operating System certification such as MCSA or something demonstrating Linux knowledge and build off that. It will serve you well in the security area as well.
  • wrfortiscuewrfortiscue Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yeah I think I might go MCSA route and review my CCNA stuff. I notice everyone and their mother is doing security/cyber stuff lol.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I notice everyone and their mother is doing security/cyber stuff lol.

Yea, lots of opportunity and lots of money available right now for those that are skilled/knowledgeable there...
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yes, beads is right! You really need that admin experience under your belt first before you can jump into other areas. Think about it like this, if you want to understand "D", you need to understand "A, B and C" first. Sounds like you are tired, and have been sitting for WAY too long. If you are that in need of a change, you'll have to put yourself in a position where you need to focus and make that change. Whether it be the self study route, or going to a boot camp so you can get those certs to get you that job and gain that experience. You need to invest the time and money to get yourself to where you want to be.

Having both Linux and Windows admin experience will certainly help you out, but most people usually have 1 core area that they are really good at, and slowly integrate additional areas over time. Start with a core area first, decide what you want to get into. Also, once you get into a job that will pay for college, work on getting your degree (if you don't have one already).

Start with the CompTIA "trifecta" (A+, Net+, and Sec+), or jump into MCSA. Think about what type of experience you have so far at your help desk job, and what you are familiar with. Send me a PM, and I can certainly provide you with further guidance.
  • wrfortiscuewrfortiscue Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    kiki162 wrote: »
    Yes, beads is right! You really need that admin experience under your belt first before you can jump into other areas. Think about it like this, if you want to understand "D", you need to understand "A, B and C" first. Sounds like you are tired, and have been sitting for WAY too long. If you are that in need of a change, you'll have to put yourself in a position where you need to focus and make that change. Whether it be the self study route, or going to a boot camp so you can get those certs to get you that job and gain that experience. You need to invest the time and money to get yourself to where you want to be.

Having both Linux and Windows admin experience will certainly help you out, but most people usually have 1 core area that they are really good at, and slowly integrate additional areas over time. Start with a core area first, decide what you want to get into. Also, once you get into a job that will pay for college, work on getting your degree (if you don't have one already).

Start with the CompTIA "trifecta" (A+, Net+, and Sec+), or jump into MCSA. Think about what type of experience you have so far at your help desk job, and what you are familiar with. Send me a PM, and I can certainly provide you with further guidance.

Well I got a WGU IT security degree along with the certs it gives, CIW's, A+, network +. LPIC, project +, ccent, ccna, ccna security. I had this job before I got the degree and certs, so not moving up or using my certs is getting me antsy lol. To the above poster, I have been here this long because it is cumulative. I worked as an intern, full time, then I quit working for a year because I had to deal with panic attacks everyday, now worked my way back. Looks like I will go into MCSA, maybe dip into linux. Thanks for the advice!