Options

wbadmin vs Windows Server backup: Functional differences?

PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
[FONT=&quot]Does anybody know if there are any differences in functionality between wbadmin and Windows Server Backup?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]After looking through the exam guide and technet the only conceivable difference I can find is that if you want to restore system state data only, you have to use wbadmin.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]When doing a full server restore, and backing up multiple disks/volumes(containing data) is there any reason to choose one over the other?[/FONT]
Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
Working on - RHCE

Comments

• Options
    PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Okay there is ridiculously conflicting information in the 70-640 exam guide

Page 681:

System state information is important, although it cannot be captured as-is through Windows Server Backup. It can, however, be restored because Windows Server Backup supports
    three restore modes:
    n Full server restore
    n System state only restore
    n Individual file or folder restore

Page 692:

You can restore the data either through the command line or with Windows Server
    Backup. Note, however, that when you want to restore directory data, you must
    perform a System State restore and, to do so, you must use the command line.

Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • Options
    EnticlesEnticles Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    my understanding was that wbadmin was the cmd counterpart to windows server backup, therefore they should functionally be identical, except for the graphical vs command line differences in how commands are run?
  • Options
    joeswfcjoeswfc Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I thought they were the same thing as well, just command line vs graphical.

The main difference I have found is if you want to schedule a daily backup using windows server backup you would need to use wbadmin scripts and task scheduler to do this.