Options

70-411 on the way

agasagas Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Thanks all for being here! icon_cheers.gif

This preparation is taking me too long to accomplish.

I am using some Vmware labs in my company for most of the topics, but I am limited when I intend to do VPN and Remote access stuff.
So I think I will need to have a couple of private internet connexions at home for testing Remote access. How did you do it?

I have 2 hyper-V hosts (VMware vms themselves) and I have some issues with creating a subnetwork among my Hyper-V machines. I would like the VM subnetwork to be in a different domain for testing on AD forests.
I had to configure the Hyper-V with an extra internal network, in addition to the one given by the Vmware infrastructure.
Can I put all the VM in the 2 Hyper-V hosts in one subnetwork? Where should the DHCP server reside? Is a router role needed, in which Hyper-V?

More questions to come.

Comments

• Options
    Ugly-051Ugly-051 Member Posts: 63 ■■■□□□□□□□
    agas wrote: »
    Thanks all for being here! icon_cheers.gif

This preparation is taking me too long to accomplish.

I am using some Vmware labs in my company for most of the topics, but I am limited when I intend to do VPN and Remote access stuff.
    So I think I will need to have a couple of private internet connexions at home for testing Remote access. How did you do it?

I have 2 hyper-V hosts (VMware vms themselves) and I have some issues with creating a subnetwork among my Hyper-V machines. I would like the VM subnetwork to be in a different domain for testing on AD forests.
    I had to configure the Hyper-V with an extra internal network, in addition to the one given by the Vmware infrastructure.
    Can I put all the VM in the 2 Hyper-V hosts in one subnetwork? Where should the DHCP server reside? Is a router role needed, in which Hyper-V?

More questions to come.

Keep up with the studying for these exams, I’ve just passed 70-412 myself today. The more info you can get under your belt the better.
    In terms of labs for VPNs then you don’t need multiple hosts, just a client (can be any type that supports the VPN protocol) and the NT server running RRAS roles.

For a lab, I use Hyper-V on Windows 10 (3.5GHZ Core i7 3770k 8GB RAM) and I virtualise the network that Hyper-V sits on using GNS3 and Cisco IOS. This allows me to emulate (on a smaller scale) real-world network topologies, internal and external.

My host (W10) has a 1TB 7k SATA 3 disk with a system 250GB Samsung Evo SSD disk, so plenty of speed and power.

I’m going to add in another 8GB of DDR3 RAM so I can run more VMs at once.

I used to use VMWare workstation and the odd bit of VBOX but I find Hyper-V better and more efficient since it’s emended into the O/S.

Some other types of VMs I run require QEMU or VBOX.

But know you don’t have to use GNS3 (if you know Cisco IOS well then it’s a must!), so my answer to your question is either use VMware (workstation I guess you’re using?) or Hyper-V because both can technically do the same.

The DHCP server needs to be on the same broadcast domain as the clients that need the addressing, mostly it’s the Domain Controller that people use but I use both, one on the gateway and a backup failover DHCP server setup.