Certifications that are essential for a VoIP engineer.

router_switchrouter_switch Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,
I need some advice especially from the Voice engineers in this forum regarding the certs that are needed to boost my career.
I am a VoIP test engineer with 6 years of experience in SIP call flow analysis. I have a couple of SIP certifications from SIP school but I don't think they carry any weight on my resume. Currently working on CCNA R&S v3.

Comments

• negru_tudornegru_tudor Member Posts: 473 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Try looking into the 642-642 material. It's no longer on the Cisco active certification list but it still holds a lot of weight in the field. Are you looking for vendor-specific certs or general ones? The general ones I'd recommend would be from The SIP School which I see you already have.
    2017-2018 goals:
    [X] CIPTV2 300-075
    [ ] SIP School SSCA
    [X] CCNP Switch 300-115 [X] CCNP Route 300-101 [X] CCNP Tshoot 300-135
    [ ] LPIC1-101 [ ] LPIC1-102 (wishful thinking)
  • router_switchrouter_switch Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply, I was looking for both ( vendor specific and general ones). Vendor specific, apart from Cisco which I have a little knowledge are expensive especially the training part. Oracle ( AcmePacket) for example offers the certification put there is no way that I can prepare for the exam on my own. Theoretical part is OK but I don't have access to the SBCs.
  • TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How does this compare to the collaboration stuff?
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • negru_tudornegru_tudor Member Posts: 473 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I know what you mean. Avaya ones for example will set you back a lot of money. Maybe Digium although i think you might already be on top of Asterisk due to SSCA. Maybe inGate's SIParator - they have a free 30 day trial for the SBC which can be virtualized? Don't really know what else to recommend aside from the QoS course and maybe the CCNA Collab. then the CCNP Collab. if Cisco VoIP is up your alley :)
    2017-2018 goals:
    [X] CIPTV2 300-075
    [ ] SIP School SSCA
    [X] CCNP Switch 300-115 [X] CCNP Route 300-101 [X] CCNP Tshoot 300-135
    [ ] LPIC1-101 [ ] LPIC1-102 (wishful thinking)
  • router_switchrouter_switch Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Tudor. For now I will stick to Cisco certs. I wanted to take the Service provider route but I don't really have the experience that would go along with that.