Options

One or Both Test for CCNA?

Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
Hello fellow networking friends. I will like to get everyones opinion on taking one or both test for CCNA certification. I am personally taking both test.
"The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)

Comments

• Options
    routingbyrumorroutingbyrumor Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I personally took the two test route to get my CCNA, it made it easier in terms of studying. Its more expensive but its less stressful.
  • Options
    rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    i took the one test to reach my CCNA.

did self study for about 10 months after work and passed with 934...
    i prefered to one test method because i just didnt wanna have to sit for two tests!
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i used the 1 test method.. i figured if i don't pass at least i got the money for a retake icon_wink.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    brAunbrAun Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i took 2 test for my CCNA exams, but if i think 1 test is better as long as u prepare it very well. for 1 exam u can save some money for the test :D.
    if let me choose again, i will go for 1 exam.
    for 2 exams, u have to study 2 times and worry and nervous for the exam for 2 times...
    Failure is the mother of success, just never stop trying :)
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It really depends on your familiarity with Cisco and networking in general. If I had absolutely no exp in either I would probably go the 2 exam route so the learning/memorising isn't too overkill.

If you have experience in the industry, not necessarily Cisco but networking and general IT Support, understanding on LAN/WAN fundamentals as a base I would say go for the single 640-801 exam. It saves the worry of preparing for 2 exams!

Really does depend on yourself though

Cheers

Malc
  • Options
    DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I considered going the two test path, but have decided I'm just gonna go with one. I'd rather tackle the whole thing all at once.
  • Options
    hedhrtshedhrts Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I wrote the intro about 2 years ago and haven't had a chance to start the icnd material til a couple of months ago, so I'm debating if I'm going to write the whole thing or just the icnd. I don't know what kind of time span there can be between exams or when and how long your cert will be valid for. So I'm thinking of writing the single exam at this stage.
  • Options
    james_james_ Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm in the same boat Chivalry, I have changed my mind over and over about which path to take. I read somewhere that this monster of an exam has an 80% first time fail rate, but I feel that might be an exageration, I do know for sure, it's a lot tougher than Network+!

For that reason I am choosing the 2 exam option, I just don't believe I am capable of learning all this new stuff all at once, baby steps... Of course for someone familiar with CISCO devices and Networking, the single exam would probably be a better way forward.

I just know that if I took the single exam and failed, I would have to have a couple of "feel sorry for myself" weeks, and it would probably take me longer to pass the single exam than the 2-way path. As for cost, my employer picks up the exam fees, PROVIDING I Pass, so again, more reason to take my time and each exam pass first time!

Good luck with the CCNA whatever pass you choose!
  • Options
    romainromain Member Posts: 222
    I personnaly took the 640-801 test and I think it could be easy done with all the documentation you can find here and on the web.

The more practice you can do the better your chance will be.
    CCIE R&S Candidate

Dynamips Labs
  • Options
    DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    niamor wrote:
    I personnaly took the 640-801 test and I think it could be easy done with all the documentation you can find here and on the web.
    Good to know!
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Thanks all I guess my purpose was to find how many took both test vs just one. It seems 50-50. I dont consider myself a great network professional. But I have some hands-on experience. so it does not seem to difficult. I decided to take both exams so I can slowly absorb the information completely. CCNA is alot of information and really technical. Also, cost is not a factor; the company picks up the tab regardless.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Options
    kadshahkadshah Member Posts: 388 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For me personally to sit in for 2 exams would be torture.
    I don't care about the $$$ at this point I already spent so much money
    preparing for the CCNA with routers, sims, CBT videos and books. I
    just want to see the CCNA certification framed and hung on my wall.
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    The intro would be much like Net+, but with Cisco related stuff, such as cabling connections, parts of Cisco router (mem, NVRam, FLASH, ROM, Etc), resetting the router to factory defaults, etc.
    If you take both tests, you'll be pounded on all this stuff, and then when you take ICND only, you'll be pounded on only that.
    With the combo, probably about 10% would be INTRO specific, maybe another 5% would be utilizing intro building blocks.

If you know the OSI model, know basic IP, then take the combo. The only part that intro details that would take work is subnetting. But you'll be doing that for ICND anyway, as it is essential to CCNA.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm going to take both exams because my employer is paying for it.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    HELLZxPHADERHELLZxPHADER Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    for ccna, I prefer 1 test option.
  • Options
    loboernestoloboernesto Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    firstly, I ended up doing the Cisco network academy program because I couldn't get any seat in the english courses!!! (sound weird but I had received comments that I had it easy with IT and should study something related, so once I realised I was too late for english classes I went for IT icon_lol.gif ), I thought the course would be like network administration (like MSCA) I hadn't even heard from Cisco before I entered the course icon_confused.gif (back in april). But what I thought would be an alternative for a short english course was going to be a 4 semester course!!. (3 months attending and then a three months gap until the second semester started) So I left it after passing the first semester and booked a seat to take CCNA now in November. I didn't know about the INTRO exam and the ICND, but if I had the choice again I would go for CCNA....
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    I've had a lot of thought whether I should take two exams for this or just study right up and go for the one exam.

What I eventually decided upon was to take two exams. I can initially concentrate on the simpler topics (although I am not suggesting any of the ccna topics are simple) and then really concentrate on the WAN and routing for the second exam.

With the first half of the ccna in the bag I feel;
    - it would help in my confidence of how I am studying is working
    - fire me up to get the icnd nailed sooner rather than later
    - not having to keep all that info in the forefront of my mind when I walk into the test center (i'm 42 and the grey matter isn't as sparky as it used to be)
    - Finally, and most importantly, I know I will get hammered a lot on the intro topics and then the icnd topics (rather than 90 minutes of questions across both) so I would have to make sure I really know the topics inside and out.

I would rather learn it well than just grab the cert and not be able to remember much of material 1 month later.
    Kam.