Options

New Active Directory Forest with Windows Server 2012 R2 Server Core in (about) 10 Min

powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
I have created a post on setting up a new Active Directory Forest with Windows Server 2012 R2 Server Core, and it takes just about ten minutes. This would be great for practicing and setting up a lab domain:

https://dustindortch.com/2016/08/21/new-active-directory-forest-with-windows-server-2012-r2-server-core-in-about-10-minutes/
2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro

Comments

• Options
    alfred06alfred06 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nice PowerFool, just need to zoom in a little bit on the cmd prompt to see what commands you are executing. aside from that love the video.
  • Options
    I decided to go ahead and create the follow-up video that promotes a Server Core system to being a domain controller in an existing domain. I installed ZoomIt to zoom in on the command prompt. Please let me know what you think. I also tried something different with the introduction.

https://dustindortch.com/2016/08/21/installing-a-new-domain-controller-with-windows-server-2012-r2-server-core/
  • Options
    Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Awesome video you made.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • Options
    Any feedback on next videos? I have a long term direction that will build off of these, but I am looking for some immediate topics that I should cover that build off of these two videos before I move on to another "level" so to speak.
  • Options
    Gatsu13Gatsu13 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I haven't seen the second video yet but I did watch the first one. Good job man! A wealth of information and I'm glad to see you doing everything in server core. I look forward to more videos and thanks for making them!
  • Options
    nsternster Member Posts: 231
    Great videos :) I'll go ahead and give you my preferences:

- Lower volume and shorten intro

- See if you can edit the properties of the command prompt to adjust the width/height and font (ie Lucida instead of Raster fonts and make it bigger that way) to avoid using ZoomIt

- If you have the time, some extra video editing to speed up or skip the waiting times, optionally, record the voice after the video in order to shorten the videos (I'm a fan of the to the point, quick videos)
  • Options
    Yeah, these are my first two YouTube videos ever, so I had different approaches to each.

#1 - I recorded ahead of time and did audio afterwards - This was a huge pain because I was using the YouTube Editor for editing and it just took me ages to do the editing.

#2 - I recorded everything together which did make the video longer - This was also a pain.

So, I am going to use Windows Movie Maker for my editor and go back to the first approach because it really made things concise. I may do some time-lapse things, but it all went pretty fast without it and gave an opportunity to discuss some items in more depth, so I probably won't unless I just don't have anything to say. My intent is to keep the videos under 10 minutes and do one thing, beginning to end; I would go and do all sorts of "customization" or anything. For instance, with the Server Core install, I didn't go and remove the unnecessary source bits for installing things we wouldn't be using, though I may make a separate video for that. The YouTube Editor has no options for doing time lapse... and if it did, it would probably provide to an entire video clip rather than a selected segment (that is how the "slow motion" feature works).

I am also looking at acquiring Camtasia Studio as that is a popular editor that works well for most people and isn't horribly priced. Editing audio is easy, as Audicity is open source and awesome... just no equivalent video editor... but video editors tend to have audio editors built-in, too.

EDIT: I don't know if I missed it or if it is only under the "Enhancements" section post-publish... but I did find the time lapse feature. So, who knows. Using the YouTube Editor is major time suck... it two days from recording through editing to publish the first video and just a couple hours for the second one. I am hoping to get it to half an hour or less.

EDIT 2: I replaced the first video with an updated version to take into account some of the editing improvements I have learned. The link to the blogpost has been updated, so no change there. The old video has been edited down to about 10 second and has a link to the newer video embedded.
  • Options
    MicronewbMicronewb Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good stuff! I enjoy your slow and clear voice. Looking forward to more of your work.
  • Options
    nsternster Member Posts: 231
    I trialed a Sony editing software once, it was fun to work with, but I think it's really expensive. I like your improvements! I'll be extremely nitpicky for a moment, so take this with a grain of salt. I would have liked it fast-forwarded between 0:45~0:57 "Setup is starting..." screen, put the intro to about ~7 seconds and slightly lowered the volume of the intro. Also, the second video seems to have a clearer image of the command prompt, I'm guessing you cropped the first video to make it kind of like a zoom?
  • Options
    The difference between the two videos was the zoom level, I used ZoomIt for both, and the font used. I am going to try and put out two new videos this weekend and see if I can get anywhere with that. I'll see about lowering the volume on the music.
  • Options
    AhmailAhmail Member Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great videos!!