410 PowerShell

Gatsu13Gatsu13 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just passed the 410 a week ago. What a beast! These tests have gotten tougher. Anyway, wanted to share a really good PowerShell resource that did more to prepare me for the test than any other book or work.

Learn Active Directory Management in a Month of Lunches
Richard Siddaway

https://www.manning.com/books/learn-active-directory-management-in-a-month-of-lunches

Best of luck to everyone on their certification journey!

Comments

• AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • cmztechcmztech Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As in the Windows Server 2012 410 - MCSA track?

I am just curious, what did you use to prepare for the rest of the test, PowerShell aside? I am thinking about using Skillsoft training videos to prepare for that test. And Congrats!
  • Gatsu13Gatsu13 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks! Studying for the 411 now...
  • cmztechcmztech Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey @Gatsu, congrats! I am studying for the 410 and hope to take it soon. I was wondering what did you use to test your knowledge before taking the test, to know you were ready? It sounds like there may have been some curve balls thrown at you? I've been watching Skillsoft videos, so far.
  • MicronewbMicronewb Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks man, I found the book on safaribooksa! Going to read a few chapters starting tonight.
  • Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's what I need to read. Since i believe that's my weak sections.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
    I took that damn test 3 times. First two times I didn't really study but got close to a 700. After the second time I started studying and changed how I usually study up.

How am I preparing? I have a server that I bought off of ebay that I'm running Hyper-V on and have two domains going. I'm using different virtual switches to create different network segments and I'm handling routing through a server running RRAS.

I am watching the Pluralsight videos, taking notes while watching them, doing exactly what they are doing in the videos in my lab (sometimes multiple times), and looking up every little thing I have a question about. I look at the objectives for the Exam often AND I look for any exam overlap. So for instance, DNS is covered in the 410, 411, and 412. I'm going through all of the DNS material not just waiting to move on to the other tests. Group Policy is also covered in all three exams.

I've also been practicing a lot in PowerShell. I use PowerShell at work but rarely use the cmdlets that we are tested on. I found the AD in a Month of Lunches book very useful because a lot of the administrative AD cmdlets we are tested on seem to be covered in that book. I try to do things that I can do easily in the GUI through powershell.

Other resources I've used:

MeasureUp test - useless
    Sybex MCSA 2012 R2 book - useless

Everyone has their own way of studying. Labbing the hell out of this, watching training videos, and practicing PowerShell seems to be working for me.

And to anyone reading this that feels bad for failing this test - Don't. These tests are more difficult than they use to be. I have an old MCSA and the 410 reminded of the god-awful 291 back in the day.

Don't give up. Keep studying and remember, what you learn and take away might even be more valuable than the cert in the long run. Own this $h!t.
    @cmztech

I didn't know if I was ready. I just scheduled and went in. I didn't expect to pass it. I took the test earlier, in Jan and in April.

I bought a few Booster packs back in March and April and I don't have much time left on them since they expire after 6 months so I figured now or never.

I'm hoping to have the 411 done by early October.
  • AvgITGeekAvgITGeek Member Posts: 342 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    My big weak spot has always been Powershell. I'm a command line guy for quick configs in Server 2008 so I've avoided Powershell because it seemed clunky. Two resources that have helped me get comfortable enough with it what I'm able to figure out most problems in Powershell have been the TechNet Jumpstart Powershell 3.0 (It will give you the basics) and the book from Manning Publishing Learn Powershell in a Month of Lunches (also just getting through the first 4 or so chapters should get you comfortable enough)

Gatsu: Did you look at their Powershell book at all?

Links:

TechNet Powershell: https://mva.microsoft.com/en-US/training-courses/getting-started-with-power-shell-30-jump-start-8276?l=r54IrOWy_2304984382

Learning Powershell in a Month of Lunches: https://mva.microsoft.com/en-US/training-courses/getting-started-with-power-shell-30-jump-start-8276?l=r54IrOWy_2304984382
    @AvgITGeek

Thanks!

I have quite a few Manning books and I have PowerShell in a Month of lunches for PowerShell 2 and 3. I also have PowerShell Toolmaking in a Month of Lunches and PowerShell In Depth, both of which I haven't gotten too far in.

I am a command line guy myself and I too felt PowerShell was kind of clunky at first. I haven't felt that way for a long time now. PowerShell is my go to tool now for most things. I think it's a good skill to have, makes you a better admin, and is a way to set yourself apart from other IT professionals.
  • DojiscalperDojiscalper Member Posts: 266 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree, "powershell in a month of lunches" reading the first few chapters before it starts getting advanced is all you really need for the 70-410. It gets you familiar with what MS is trying to do with powershell and how to read the darn command syntax which if you haven't done much programming in awhile can be very confusing and overwhelming. Now I wish I had a job where I could use it often enough to remember the commands I'd have a lot of fun with it.
  • Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Gatsu13 I know what you mean. I failed it 3 times already next month will be my 4th time trying but I took a long break since I was pissed off the last time. This time around it's I'm reading slow and following the plurasight video. Some of it i get confuse but I keep trying it until it works for me.

I have the synbex box it's kind of brief but it's simple to follow. I have other books but reading that one first . Just going to keep on pushing myself until i get this dammm cert passed.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*