Took the CompTIA Cybersecurity Analyst + Beta Exam.

Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
Overall it was a fun exam. Challenging considering I did not have any exclusive training, nor do I work in a security analyst position.

Plenty of vulnerability scanner, IDS, IPS and firewall logs to comb through. That was the majority of my questions. Then having to determine if they're false positives or malicious. Several incident response questions. I had 5 simulations and they were essentially going through each log on each host and determining the best defense/mitigation technique.

Really looking forward to studying and taking this exam in the future, assuming I did not pass.
Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    You don't know if you passed or not?
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Awesome seems like a kool cert to have, a bridge between Security+ and CASP. I've heard there are logs to examine and you have to determine whether the events are false positive, false negative, true positive, or true negative, so that sounds pretty much in line what IT security analysts do.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Beta exams results are never immediate because the passing grade has not been set. Results are expected Q1 2017
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I hate waiting that long! lol I could not find a testing center close enough yet to take mine
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    danny069 wrote: »
    Awesome seems like a kool cert to have, a bridge between Security+ and CASP. I've heard there are logs to examine and you have to determine whether the events are false positive, false negative, true positive, or true negative, so that sounds pretty much in line what IT security analysts do.

Yup that pretty much sums up the entire test. They had several CCS and SQL Injection attack questions in there as well. I could see this one gaining ground in DOD, especially with this influx in cyber security positions within the gov.

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yup that pretty much sums up the entire test. They had several CCS and SQL Injection attack questions in there as well. I could see this one gaining ground in DOD, especially with this influx in cyber security positions within the gov.

We can all thank cyberguypr for helping to put together such a good test icon_wink.gif Was there anyone else here who was part of that group?
  • scjohnson1988scjohnson1988 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I still don't agree that this is a "bridge" for Sec+ and CASP. The intent of this exam is solely on what a cybersecurity professional would do, while CASP still covers a breadth of knowledge. The specific, in-depth knowledge in the CSA+ will help with a few sections in the CASP, but the CASP did not go nearly as in depth on the majority of the content included in the CSA+ and has more testable content in general.
  • Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    I still don't agree that this is a "bridge" for Sec+ and CASP. The intent of this exam is solely on what a cybersecurity professional would do, while CASP still covers a breadth of knowledge. The specific, in-depth knowledge in the CSA+ will help with a few sections in the CASP, but the CASP did not go nearly as in depth on the majority of the content included in the CSA+ and has more testable content in general.

I'm in the Security Controls for Hosts under the CASP right now, and I agree with you. I suppose there will be more technicality to the CASP eventually, but as of right now, I have yet to see any real technical chapters. When I take the exam, I'll have a more accurate opinion.

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • fitzlopezfitzlopez Member Posts: 103 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just took the test, I agree that it's not a bridge between security+ and CASP it's something else. You probably won't pass just by reading Security+ and CASP's books. I'm 50/50 on passing I answered all but some I'm sure I got wrong because I had to guess. I look forward to reading a book and using a companion CD about this exam. I'm thinking of doing the OSCP by December 2017 so this was a measure that I don't anything about the practical side of security and it's all book and procedures stuff.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I just sat the exam this morning. Interesting, almost common-sense, type of questions. I am interested in receiving feedback once they release the results. I am not sure if I passed or not, but, my intent was to just have some fun and look for subjects I need to brush up on. This exam definitely did that. I, too, only had 5 simulations, one of which was a pain considering every time I backed out of the log view it dumped me to the introduction screen for the question. I also found, and commented on, a question that included sockets that weren't written correctly. Hopefully they change that one.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • techwizardtechwizard Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Took this yesterday, 8.30.16. I found the buggy sim as others did, it was annoying. I found it to be a mix of stuff I knew from experience, and there were a few questions that had at least a couple of correct answers. Grammatical errors could be found on some questions as well. It needs some polishing before it gets released to final. It was an interesting exam, I was studying for the CASP before I took up the beta for this, and I noticed that the overlap on this exam and CASP is pretty noticeable. I think the use of acronyms was a bit excessive, but thats just my opinion.
    "Never give up" ~ Winston Churchill