virtualization vs cloud computing

Chris_WessChris_Wess Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Difference between virtualization and cloud computing.

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Google

If you want an intelligent conversation you need better questions.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This pretty much covers every question in every variation your looking for to include: Private, Public, Community and Hybrid and all forms of XaaS.

Read this then if you still have questions, please ask.

http://www.nist.gov/itl/cloud/upload/cloud-def-v15.pdf

- b/eads

Edit: Post number 1000. Your welcome.
  • LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    They are completely different things, so they aren't really comparable.

Virtualization is the process of encapsulating a guest OS and hardware into a hypervisor (Hyper-V, VMware, XenApp, ect) which allows multiple OS's to run one one phsyical server.

Cloud Computing can use virtualization but doesn't have to. Cloud computing is literally you borrowing resources (storage, CPU, memory) from another persons data center and paying on a term basis. So that cloud provider can be using physical servers or a virtualization platform.

The Cloud - Just someone else's data center.
  • Chris_WessChris_Wess Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your information. :) Beads and Lexluethar
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Virtualisation is a technology which enables the delivery of cloud services. Strictly virtualisation isn't necessary for a Cloud service, but it is the common approach as it supports greater elasticity and resource pooling.

Read the NIST definition that beads linked to, for a nice definition of cloud.

For Virtualisation, I'd suggest the Wikipedia article on hardware virtualisation.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I am not sure what to think about this Chris Wess guy. His "nick" and physical address suggest he is a guy who on LinkedIn describes himself as "Managing Principal / Cloud Services Architect at WinTelliSys". That profile has an impressive IT expertise listed including multiple roles with big international companies. In several roles he mentions working with cloud and virtualization, so something doesn't add up here.

I find particularly interesting that the writing style of this "Chris_Wess" user is extremely similar to a user who recently started spamming the board with a whole bunch of copy/paste and was either banned or the account was deleted. My BS sensor is going haywire with this one.