Is CIHE (MIle 2) good enough to have?

thsecmaniacthsecmaniac Member Posts: 11 ■■□□□□□□□□
Is there anyone have this certificate? Is it good enough to have?

Here the information for this certificate: Mile2 Cyber Security Certifications: Penetration Testing CISSP - CIHE

Comments

• PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I think the general consensus is that the Mile2 stuff has no recognition in the United States, but might be ok in Europe. There are threads on it, do a search.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Yeah, this entity has come up for discussion a few times and the conclusion has been exactly what PJ said. Basically no one has heard of it. Some guy here tried being an advocate and sounded like he really believed in them (or worked for them) but we haven't heard from him again. If you check the job boards there will be no more than a couple of hits, if any. The value may be in the training they provide. The certs, not so much.
  • RitualRitual Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    They are crazy expensive, almost SANS level expensive.

You would think that if these certification providers made their E-Learning <500$, they would have 10X the people obtaining their certifications. The more people you have certified, the more recognition you get, and the more companies that adopt your training. They would suddenly be making 10X more money.

3000$+ for a class where you read a book and watch pre-recorded videos, where you take a computer based exam at the end and where you have a guy answering questions on the forums; is ridiculous.

I would love to take a couple of SANS E-Learning courses, but there is no way I am paying 5000$ unless I win the lottery. Mile2 looks good, I just cant afford it. Which is sad because I would love to take their classes.
    2016 goals - eJPT, MCSA Windows 10, something Linux
  • latentlatent Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You might as well add me as the one person on the board who has the CIHE Cert.....LOL!!!!
  • revboxrevbox Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I can't speak for the class/cert you are referencing. However, I have taken some of Mile2's lower level stuff and passed the exams sight unseen without purchasing the training/book/etc. The fees are expensive. Not many people seem to know about them. However, their credential list is impressive citing DoD/NSA sign-offs. They may not have name recognition, but if you are like me and addicted to alphabet soup you can at least get "oohs" and "aahs" from people amazed by government acronyms.
    You are right about the recognition part to a point as they are behind EC COUNCIL and SANS in terms of brand name and recognition but for them to get recognised by NSA, FBI, gov't agencies ect is an achievement in itself.

This seems to be their niche market and the CIHE is seen as Level 3 cert on their cert roadmap. I have no idea if they will wish to expand beyond that.

The course material and practicals for me were impressive and was on par with the Sans GIAC Incident Handler (I did the training for this course but never did the exam due to expense).
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Since you like government approved certifications, here you go: https://niccs.us-cert.gov/training/professional-certifications

Have fun.
    +Thanks, much appreciated.
  • revboxrevbox Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Also, this is here nor there about the topic, but does it bug anyone else that all their certs have the ) in the name? The only reason I can guess is for branding purposes and instant recognition, but for some reason it activates my OCD and appears unprofessional. I'd rather it just be M2:CVA or M2:CSS.
  • horusthesunhorusthesun Member Posts: 289
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Yeah, this entity has come up for discussion a few times and the conclusion has been exactly what PJ said. Basically no one has heard of it. Some guy here tried being an advocate and sounded like he really believed in them (or worked for them) but we haven't heard from him again. If you check the job boards there will be no more than a couple of hits, if any. The value may be in the training they provide. The certs, not so much.
    LOL, that would be me. For some reason I like them.and i don't or haven't worked for them.
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have almost taken one of the exams but I just cannot see the ROI, other than more initials after my name.
  • horusthesunhorusthesun Member Posts: 289
    bigdogz wrote: »
    I have almost taken one of the exams but I just cannot see the ROI, other than more initials after my name.
    Because of them I am not a phone jockey or silly help desk tech