After CCNP R&S is it better to go CCIE, CCNP security or CCDP?

dppagcdppagc Member Posts: 293
I realized that taking the ARCH exam entitles one to get CCDP. Is it worth it?

On the other hand, I realize that in working life, there is more to cisco, there is juniper, firewall, riverbed as well. So should I pursue CCNP security? Can I jump into CCNP security from CCNP R&S without going through CCNA security?

Alternatively, should I go into CCIE R&S?

Comments

• FadakartelFadakartel Member Posts: 144
    it depends on what your job duties are. I would say do the ccna security at least to make yourself more well-rounded.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Fadakartel was correct in it depending on what you do for a living...

I remember you mentioning many times that you were only a "paper CCNP" and given some of the questions you've asked on here, there's either some knowledge fade or something... I would recommend that if you are going to want to go for a CCNP-level job where you work with Cisco equipment, DEFINITELY bring your skillset up to match your certifications before you go trying to learn another vendor's equipment. It's going to look very odd in a technical interview if you're confused about passive interfaces, SSH, basic OSPF, etc and you have a CCNP R&S on your resume. That's not a dig because you may have not been touching Cisco equipment for awhile and lost all your knowledge but I can tell you it's going to be awhile until you're ready for the CCIE
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have to echo the others by also saying it depends on what your current role is. It can also depend on what you desire to do in the future. CCDP seems like the way to go since it is just one more exam, but if you are interested in security then go the CCNP Sec route. I prefer to let my role dictate which cert to go for. There is more to tech than Cisco, but if you work in an all Cisco shop then why not get multiple Cisco certs.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    From my understanding you would actually need to get CCDA in order to have the prerequisites for CCDP. This is assuming you are CCNA R&S qualified, but don't have any CCIE.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    From a purely practical point of view, if CCNP R+S is your highest cert, then to get CCDP, you'll need CCDA and to get CCNP Sec, you'll need CCNA Sec.

As for CCIE, my own view, from what I've read, is that you are much better to broaden your knowledge from CCNP R+S before attempting CCIE. It touches areas not in the CCNP R+S, and (obviously) in more depth. The priority would be to get a Network Engineering role where you are pushing your CCNP skills, and then exploring CCIE.

But all the other tracks you mention are perfectly reasonable and would just depend on what your current real world situation is. CCNP is meant to imply that you have experience working with Cisco gear, and I wouldn't run further down that track without getting the work experience.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This question is a 2-way street with multiple intersections. What you peruse next is heavily dependent on what you do now for a living and what you can see yourself doing in the near future. This may be echoing others so I'll use myself as an example:

I work in a NOC as a level 2 Ops Engineer. My job primarily is focused around Cisco R/S troubleshooting. We also support Juniper, Arista, Citrix Netscaler, F5 LTM, Riverbeds, Firewalls, etc. My primary responsibility is in the R/S realm though. So my sites have been set on taking what I know best (Cisco R/S) to the next level. I have spent many many hours within my CCNP journey, it has allowed me to achieve 2 role changes / promotions, and ultimately sent me on the upward path of learning and growing. I absolutely love my work and my study but I want to take it to the next level too. For me CCIE is the next path for reasons that it suits what I already know / do and gives me that growth opportunity to take it to the next level.

Honestly the we cannot give you a perfect answer. You have to chase what you are passionate about, what has given you success thus far, and what ultimately will continue to lead you to being successful.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • dppagcdppagc Member Posts: 293
    Actually how do you study the riverbed, F5 and firewalls?
    Do you have any courses or any reading material to recommend?
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If your company is a partner they may have access to official training. Also, maybe your company can pay to send you to official training.

Where I work, I've been encouraged to go for VCP certification. They sent me to the ICM course do to a project with implementing vsphere in our environment. They're also a Fortinet partner, and I work Fortinet Firewalls, so naturally I'll probably take up the training and get NSE4 certification.

Company gives us bonuses and refunds passed exams..
    Another question: What is the difference between CCSP, CISSP and ccnp security?
    Which one is good to learn firewall?
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    CCSP was retired back in 2011. The CCNP Security was the replacement.

The CISSP (not a Cisco exam) is a more of a management type of certifications rather than technical.

If you want to learn firewall you should look at the CCNA Security.
    if I wanna work in an ISP, is it preferable to have CCNA/NP service provider?
  • FadakartelFadakartel Member Posts: 144
    dppagc wrote: »
    if I wanna work in an ISP, is it preferable to have CCNA/NP service provider?

Umm not really you should do CCNP routing and switching then go over to CCIE SP, things like CGN, MPLS, and BGP even IP transit stuff your going to need to know.

Also CCNA/NP SP are more of the IP side of a server provider, if you work on the headend side of things your going to need either GPON or Docsis related certs, depending on what solution the ISP provides.
    What is cgn? What kind of gpon related certificates are there?
  • koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Carrier Grade Nat I assume. You should really focus on learning the technologies instead of looking for new certs to ****.
  • ImYourOnlyDJImYourOnlyDJ Member Posts: 180
    As others have mentioned it really depends on what you currently do and where you want to go in the future. I'm currently working on CCNP: R&S and will soon be in the same boat that you are. Right now I'm leading towards knocking out the CCIE because the network I support sits somewhere between a CCNP and CCIE level (policy routing, QOS, DMVPN, etc...). I'd imagine if you are primarily a route and switch guy you may want to go CCIE, or if you are more of a jack of all trades/all around guy then perhaps you would want to broaden your scope.