Linux+ 30 days possible?

bonesforumtechbonesforumtech Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello

I wanted to know if the Linux+ is possible to achieve in 21 days. Before they change the 3-1 to just a single, what materials would be needed to learn from no knowledge. I have a high aptitude to learn new material, retain, and regurgitate it. I was looking at some books on amazon, but wanted to know what others have used that set them up for continuing success. I'm looking to venture in the security field, so learning different os', languages is what I'm focusing on now. Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Yes. It is possible. But how much time do you actually have? I'd say 40-80 hours of study should be sufficient if you have some knowledge already.

But it does depend on a lot of different factors.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • bonesforumtechbonesforumtech Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am currently transitioning to move end of year so I quit my job. I can allocate 8-10 hours a day to study and learn. I also no 0 knowledge of Linux. Should I still rush the 3 in 1 Linux bonus?
  • TSaLTSaL Member Posts: 38 ■■■□□□□□□□
    10 hours a day for 2 weeks you could pass.
    thx for the tips! started my trial with Pluralsight that I may consider doing a year plan. CBT is way expensive but it looks like they offer more. I don't like transcender for practice tests though. Have you guys used either?
    Officially booked for the 29th to get the 3 in 1
    UPDATE:: Passed both tests today,back to back, and very stressful knowing if i didn't pass 103 i couldn't take 104 forfeiting the $$ for the test. Started with CBT but went over to LinuxAcademy. That site was all i needed for the tests. I used their labs in addition to my own. Wrrked on ubuntu, cent, debian systems as you had to know both. I studied about 7 hours a day on average. When not actually 'studying', I was working in kali linux for security certs as supplemental learning.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congratulations on the pass! icon_thumright.gif

Don't forget to update your profile with your new cert(s).

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When is the 3 in 1 supposed to end? I am watching the Linux+ cybrary now (not that good)
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
    danny069 wrote: »
    When is the 3 in 1 supposed to end? I am watching the Linux+ cybrary now (not that good)

It ends tomorrow actually, which is why i rushed these two tests.The comptia for LPIC-1 is still valid though. Try Linuxacademy, Their practice exams align closely with the test.
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks Bones!
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • cmztechcmztech Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    shucks, missed the 3 for 1 huh, that sounded like a deal for sure.

congrats!
  • mrn4444mrn4444 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Which courses did you use over at Linux Acadamy? I am thinking of signing up as I only have six weeks to prepare for both exams as my vouchers will be expiring. Did you do the Linux Essentials and the LPIC level 1 and 2 courses? I am thinking I should do essential and then level 1 and then take the 103 exam in a month. If I pass then I've got two weeks to prepare for the 104. Thanks Bones!

I meant the LPIC Level 1 exam 1 and LPIC level 1 exam 2 courses, not level 2 course. Sorry.....Thanks!
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Just for the sake of completeness, if you passed 104 without passing 103, you wouldn't forfeit 104- you'd just have to retake 103 and it'd count as complete Cert.
    @=mrn4444

Hi
    It was the LPIC Level 1 Exam 1 and LPIC Level 1 Exam 2. Linux essentials I found wasn't needed as most of it is covered throughout the series.
  • zesty2016zesty2016 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @=bonesforumtech;
    I have to say that I found the LA practice exam a bit too simple. I passed the LPIC1-101/103 exam with 94% but still failed (470) my 103 exam. I retook it yesterday, after a week of online practice questions and passed. I think the LA is good knowledge but when it comes to taking the exams, a little bit of extra prep is needed. I will admit that I did not do the exercises or the labs tho, I will rectify this before I take the 104 exam tho.

@=bonesforumtech;
    Yeah, if you are short on time I wouldn't bother with the LE. I did it because I have not done any Linux before and I needed to get the basics down before I went on to do more. The LA covered this well tho, I got a good pass for this
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Hoping to take LFCSA at the end of Sept '17
    Future study LFCE, RHCE & I wanna build my own distro
    Lose a few pounds - 28lbs - no progress on this yet :(
  • ITrascalITrascal Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Can you point me to the practice questions online?
  • Infosec85Infosec85 Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats plan to knock this out sometime in the future
    ITrascal wrote: »
    Can you point me to the practice questions online?
    Hi ITRascal, I passed the the LXO-103 on Sunday and have now started on the LX0-104 to complete my LPIC1. These are the online resources that I used to help me through...
    4tests.com
    gocertify.com
    gnosis.cx - very limited number of questions icon_sad.gif
    penguintutor.com
    debian-tutorials.com - AWESOME (they have an assessment test to see what level you are currently at & then they have a 70 question exam that you can do)

I like these because they all explain the answers so if you get something wrong you can at least find out why it is wrong & you get to learn the correct answer. I found these in the week between my first & retake exams &, like I said, a few questions actually came up & I was much better prepared after doing these.

The pool of questions is limited so you'll probably have to do them all & a couple of sites have 101 & 102 questions chucked in the same test but I was very happy with the results having done these.

I I hope they help everyone cos they really did help me. (They're free too.)
  • ITrascalITrascal Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
    you are most welcome, I hope it helps
  • si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    zesty2016 wrote: »
    you are most welcome, I hope it helps

Thanks zesty, it has definitely helped me already and made me realize that I don't know a lot about Linux :D
    si20 wrote: »
    Thanks zesty, it has definitely helped me already and made me realize that I don't know a lot about Linux :D
    I wouldn't beat yourself up about that. I thought I knew a bit until I saw familiar commands used in totally unfamiliar ways, when I think about the 99 lectures that I sat through for the LX0-103 and so little of, what I thought would be the big stuff, came up on the exam. It is such a massive & in-depth OS that you must need so many years of study & work to get to know it well
    Hi Guys, I came across this today and thought everyone on here might be interested. It's called the Linux Certification Virtual Summit, it's run by the LPI, and has speakers giving strategies on how to pass Linux+, Linux Essentials, RH Certified Engineer & Administrator exams. It's free & online and all sessions are recorded so if you cannot make it live then you can view them after. You can register here...Home | Linux Certification Virtual Summit
    (I was going to do this as a separate post but couldn't see how...my apologies.)
  • Andy from SactownAndy from Sactown Member Posts: 17 ■■□□□□□□□□
    zesty2016 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, I came across this today and thought everyone on here might be interested. It's called the Linux Certification Virtual Summit, it's run by the LPI, and has speakers giving strategies on how to pass Linux+, Linux Essentials, RH Certified Engineer & Administrator exams. It's free & online and all sessions are recorded so if you cannot make it live then you can view them after. You can register here...Home | Linux Certification Virtual Summit
    (I was going to do this as a separate post but couldn't see how...my apologies.)

Was anyone able to register and "claim their ticket"? I did and could not.. not in my spam.. not anywhere. /shrug
    cd /pub; more beer