My CCNA is expiring in 1/2017, three options - need advice

--chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
Wow time flies...I cant believe the CCNA I earned in January 2014 is coming up for renewal. I spent the afternoon reviewing my options and they are:

Cram for CCNP Switch and pass before 1/4/2017 (I started down this path last year but got side tracked because of work)....
Cram for ICND2 (200-101); pass this before 9/24/2016
Read/prep for ICND2 (200-105); pass this before 1/4/2017

I kind of want to go for broke and just attempt the switch exam, but the downside is losing CCNA and having to retake it plus continue working on switch after that.

Any suggestions or guidance on this is appreciated.

If I do CCNP switch, I am thinking of a initial test date in mid november then if I need it a re-test date of mid december.

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    CCNP gets my vote! go big or go home. How much better would you feel passing that one over passing the other two options as well?
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd go the CCNP-Switch route as well. I find it useless to pay for a cert you already have. I personally prefer to renew with something more difficult so you learn at the same time. Don't worry about not passing, if you studied enough there's nothing to worry about icon_cheers.gif
  • aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was in your same position (CCNA from January of 2014) and recertified with one of the NP Security exams. Go for Switch! You have four months - you can definitely get it done, especially since you aren't starting from scratch. Set a target date at least a month ahead of your drop-dead date so that you will have time for a second attempt if for any reason you don't knock it out on your first try. And then, go kick its ass!
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • BookFellaBookFella Member Posts: 65 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Agree with the others. Why waste time renewing when you can just go ahead and get Switch done. You have more than enough time to prepare for it. Go for switch icon_smile.gif
  • Burns82Burns82 Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't waste your time with icnd, either got ccnp level exam or go with a different ccna track
  • clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    And, the ccnp exam isn't just new material. It is in addition to what you've learned on the ccna. So, while studying for the ccnp you will be reviewing the ccna material. You will need to know the fundamentals on the ccna exam to do well on the ccnp.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    If you study for CCNP Switch, and fail in November, it shouldn't be too much effort to study the bits of route that you need to pass ICND2. It makes a lot of sense to start on the CCNP.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Go for broke!!! Switch exam it is.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Switch it is!

Ordered OCG and Lab guide last night, have one more 3750 on the way and a poor-mans access server (USB hub & usb to serial adapters) w/mobaxterm for sessions.

Continued in my CCNP thread below....