Is this possible/probable? Let me know your input!

I am taking my 902 on the 12th, it was supposed to be this Friday but they were overbooked and had to push the date back. I want to have a few more certs by the end of the year.

Network+ next by the end of September
Security+ after that by the end of October
MCSA 70-697 Windows 10 by the end of November
Linux+ by the new year

What do you guys think? Possible?

I have plenty of time to study at work and a little of time at home. Lots of resources available as well; books, Lynda.com, careeracadamy.com and so on.

Thanks for your feedback

Comments

• 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My personal belief (having worked in IT for awhile) is that all of those are doable within a month of each other.
  • MJK9550MJK9550 Member Posts: 160
    That's what I was assuming, I usually study for at least 5 hours a day at least 5 days a week. I definitely would like to have all of those done by the end of the year though and then I can start working on my more advanced certs. Possible jobs with having all of those certs? and possible pay range?
  • LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Depends on your experience.

Some people could go and take most of those now and pass or almost pass so little studying is required. If you don't know how to subnet or don't know much about the windows OS system you are in for a rough time.

It's definitely doable, depending on your experience level will depend on if you complete them on your timeline.
    I work in IT but am fairly new to it. I have always been big on PCs though and have used Windows my entire life. I've been using windows 10 since it was released and have labs set up at home both windows and Linux. I currently use windows 7 at work and server 2012/2008. I do a little of everything here at my job from support to networking to admin work. Still though I am fairly new and subnetting is pretty new to me as well.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Experience will always trump certifications, particularly when I look up the veracity of certs and the timeline accomplished. Basically, I can't take a candidate seriously when I see five certs accomplished in four months. Like the person I called out for having the CISSP and a concentration within a couple of months (red flag) and their subsequent experience was non-existent as well. You know the type. Company went out of business, can't reach the manager - neither existed. Saved from a bad hire there as HR was "too busy" to do send in the background investigation to our service. Ugh!!

Doable yes. These are all easy certificates to accomplish with a little effort. Will certs help? Yes, but not at the expense of experience. Certifications were never intended to replace education and experience but to be a capstone to validate your knowledge not a replacement or substitute.

Even recruiters are getting wise to the buy-cert-buy-a-job routine. Well, at least the veteran recruiters are getting wise to the scheme. Otherwise seek out recruiters who are new to the field - they will buy into almost anything.

I better go back to my rock, today. Sheesh! icon_sad.gif

- b/eads
    I definitely don't want to lie my way into a job by earning these certs. Just more show I am knowledgeable and have some experience, but want more experience in the area I was to excel in. I know I cant get all these certs and get my dream job. I am just hoping that with these certs I can get a job a step closer towards it!
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Dont see why not. I also dont see why are you asking if we think this is possible. Just go for it and try your best/give it your all. Doesnt matter our opinion in if we think you can do it or not. You either do it or not, fall short, thats it.
    meh
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Less is sometimes more........
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    MJK9550 wrote: »
    I am taking my 902 on the 12th, it was supposed to be this Friday but they were overbooked and had to push the date back. I want to have a few more certs by the end of the year.

Network+ next by the end of September
    Security+ after that by the end of October
    Linux+ by the new year

What do you guys think? Possible?

Possible, but do you hold any certification now? Pretty ambitious goals without knowing how you fair on certification exams. If you had a proven track record for passing exams, I'd say no problem, but right now it's an unknown variable.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Really nice! Plan of study!! :D
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • CertifiedMonkeyCertifiedMonkey Member Posts: 172 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MJK9550 wrote: »
    Linux+ by the new year

I think it's possible, but I think that your biggest challenges will be the Microsoft cert and the Linux+ (mostly because it's two tests, which would be a challenge to complete in a month).
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Net+ and Sec+, probably could in 2 months. But the MCSA and Lin+ within 2 months seems a little aggressive to me.
    TechGromit wrote: »
    Possible, but do you hold any certification now? Pretty ambitious goals without knowing how you fair on certification exams. If you had a proven track record for passing exams, I'd say no problem, but right now it's an unknown variable.

I have taken my A+ 901 and take my 902 on Friday, I got a 783 on my 901 and have only studied for a short amount of time. I also am a very good test taker and have always done well in school without ever having to try. I currently hold a 4.0 in computer science. I have heard the MCSA for Windows 10 is a pretty difficult exam. I am not on a deadline for any reason, this is just what I would like to have done by the end of the year that way I can start on my CEH and eJPT.

Thanks nisti2!

Yea the thing with the Linux+ being two tests will put a damper on my schedule, but I was thinking just do one on a Friday and the next the following Friday like I have done with the A+.