Rdp

binaticalbinatical Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey this is my first post to this site!

I am trying to use rdp to access my home desktop from my work. I can access it from my laptop when I'm in my house but at work when I try to RDP into it, I cant. Can someone help me out with what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks!

I'm excited to join this site, I've been reading posts on here and decided it would be a helpful tool.

Comments

• hailhailhailhail Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    what are you using to access it from your laptop?
    easiest way would be just install teamviewer on it its free remote access software for 'personal' use.
    Im not advertising it but its what i use, im sure theres other and saves setting up vpn etc.
  • binaticalbinatical Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm using windows remote desktop connection
  • hailhailhailhail Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yeah, at home you can rdp cause your on your home network (all devices can see each other and connect)
    When at work your on your work network, so you cant connect to home without a vpn or tunnel connection setup.
    So either setup a vpn or install a 3rd party program to give you access.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would not recommend installing unauthorized software, especially something that can be used to create remote sessions. You might get in trouble if you do it from a corporate network, not to mention probably the services to do that will most likely be blocked. Easier way would be to use your phone to tether to your laptop and use team viewer on your laptop during non business hours.
  • SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    As above, if you have authorization from your managers etc, Teamviewer is great. If not, you have two options; you can either VPN into your home network, or you could set up a port forward on your router at home and RDP to your external home address.

There's lots of tutorials on line on how to do both of the above.
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Ignore those other guys, you don't need VPN software or Teamviewer. You just need to open & forward ports on your router. Default is 3389. Very easy process; your router manual probably explains how to do it.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I cringe every time I hear about exposing RDP directly to the Internet. Not like TeamViewer is any better. It's all about your risk tolerance. I would honestly invest some time learning how to do a proper VPN connection and then sending RDP through that. As others said, be cognizant about your employer's restrictions. In my current environment attempting this would be a clear policy violation and would get you at the very least a very strongly worded email from my team.
  • ivx502ivx502 Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Personally I would VPN RDP over SSH. Nothing is worth accessing remotely in the clear.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    See if there is a GPO against that (at work), unless using the right VPN client..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You might want to consult your company's Acceptable Use policy for computer/network access and make sure you are not in violation of published policies. If I were your manager and I found out you were doing this, I would have to question a legitimate need to access the home computer from work anyway, aside from screwing off and doing not company related stuff. But to each his own, I guess.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There are open source firewalls or VPNs you can get to accomplish this. Assuming your work doesn't mind, VPNing in would be the best and most secure way.
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Excellent discussion here! Gives me some great ideas for my home network. I can access my work PC from home, but I would never want to access my home PC from anywhere else. And blargoe is absolutely correct. Violating policy is a good way to get fired.