Options

last minute prep for lx0-104

Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
Taking lx0-104 tomorrow, just looking for any last minute suggestions to go over a second time. I feel pretty good about my chances but I came really close to failing lx0-103 (I'm alot more familiar with most of the stuff covered in this one-networking and sql in particular which helps.) I'd reschedule but my local testing centers don't have many available time slots.

Anything you guys wish you took a second look at before sitting this one?
Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685

Comments

• Options

Well, I passed 600/800. Despite the low score I'd rate this exam considerably easier than lx0-103 - if you've tinkered with linux a good deal but never really got deep into into Linux and bash in particular, if that makes sense.

Overall I feel like the test was pretty well distributed among the objectives, I can't really think of anyone subject that had more questions than the rest.

X/UI & Desktops was probably the least covered section. You could probably just skip that entirely, guess the one or two questions and still pass as long as you're strong on the other subjects. What probably killed my score is there were one or two fill in the blanks that I wasn't 100% on, and, I totally forgot to go over the SSH/GPG stuff today and had to guess on a few of those questions.

Another subject I didn't feel they tested very hard was user management.I was real worried about memorizing all the options for useradd/usermod/passwd/groupadd/groupmod/etc. Turns out I should have spent more time on the 'securing linux" section.

Resources used for this exam: ucertify (provided by WGU), google, and Linux. I have two ESXI servers at home for VMs, and all of my personal computers now run Linux full time.

• Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Download a app called "Linux **** sheet" its on google play. That app is useful as a reminder for all the commands you need to know... it gives you the list of all the commands you will use on a daily basis and helps as a cool review/flash card app too
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Darthn3ss wrote: »
    all of my personal computers now run Linux full time.

I want to do that but I have too many Steam games to count right now and there is no way to play steam games in Linux. That is the only thing that is preventing me from wiping my desktop clean and starting with CentOS7
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    ITSpectre wrote: »
    I want to do that but I have too many Steam games to count right now and there is no way to play steam games in Linux. That is the only thing that is preventing me from wiping my desktop clean and starting with CentOS7

Some games are available! the list grows every day. Most of the games I play regularly are on linux - Cities Skylines, Counterstrike Go, Civ5, American Truck Sim.

As a treat to myself for passing this exam, I'm going to be setting up GPU passthrough on my desktop PC - I will run linux as the host OS and pass my graphics card through to a windows VM - from there I will run games and steam stream back to linux(you could switch monitor source and use synergy or even a script to pass the usb keyboard/mouse through for gaming then back, but I prefer to keep it simple.) GPU Pass through to a windows VM takes only a marginal hit in performance.

Another, slightly more expensive option, is to spin up an AWS EC2 instance and steam-stream games from there. I did that and playing games from my super slow work guest wireless network was pretty tolerable. There was some lag from our slow guest network but I imagine from a highspeed home connection it would be more than fine for single player games. I think there would be too much of a delay for multiplayer, though. I tested Witcher 3 and American Truck Sim from an EC2 instance. Our network at work in general is shite and guest is even worse, even then it was playable.

Some relevant communities on reddit -

https://reddit.com/r/linux_gaming < dedicated to linux gaming.
    https://reddit.com/r/vfio -< dedicated to linux gaming using GPU passthrough.

• Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    ITSpectre wrote: »

There is a whole section dedicated to Linux on Steam. In fact I just installed it the other day on my CentOS7 laptop. I'm currently sucking at Urban Terror (Quake3 game engine).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! Studying for my Linux+ to finish off the year.
  • Options
    doctorlexusdoctorlexus Member Posts: 217
    Congrats. Are you going to apply for the other two certs that come with it? I'm kind of tempted to add Linux+ to my list, but I really need to finish a few others first.
  • Options
    I'll get the LPIC cert but I dont' see a need for the SUSE one.

• Options
    ccboy85ccboy85 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Darthn3ss wrote: »
    Taking lx0-104 tomorrow, just looking for any last minute suggestions to go over a second time. I feel pretty good about my chances but I came really close to failing lx0-103 (I'm alot more familiar with most of the stuff covered in this one-networking and sql in particular which helps.) I'd reschedule but my local testing centers don't have many available time slots.

Anything you guys wish you took a second look at before sitting this one?

I'll be taking my LX0-104 soon. Any advice for supplemental resources you recommend? Thanks!!!
  • Options
    TumieTumie Member Posts: 11 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I hear the 3 in 1 thing came to an end on the 30th of August as now Suse will use the Linux + as a Pre-requisite to their advanced courses.
    https://certification.comptia.org/certifications/linux
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Tumie wrote: »
    I hear the 3 in 1 thing came to an end on the 30th of August as now Suse will use the Linux + as a Pre-requisite to their advanced courses.
    https://certification.comptia.org/certifications/linux
    So they are dumping LPIC-1 in favor of Linux+ but both are the same exams?