Palo Alto pre-requisite knowledge?

TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
So I have gotten access to Palo Alto at work but have no experience with it. So my question is simple, what is the background or existing knowledge that you neeed to have in order to support Palo Alto firewalls? Is it easy to pick up ? Where should i start if im lacking any pre-requisite requirements?

Comments

• yparkypark Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This seems like a good place to get started.

https://paloaltonetworks.csod.com/LMS/catalog/Welcome.aspx
    2022 Goals: [PCNSE] [JNCIS-SP] [JNCIS-SEC] [JNCIS-DevOps]
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah i already have access to the portal and the documentation. My question was more towards what existing knowledge or experience that helped the people here transition to supporting Palo Alto firewalls.
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Understanding of how a firewall works and CCNA level networking concepts.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Rumblr33Rumblr33 Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Use Panorama!! But seriously, take a PA-200 home (if you can) and setup it up and use it for practice. Like CarlSaiyed stated if you have CCNA level networking concepts and understand how firewalls work you should be good. Again nothing beats hands on work. Ask you PAN System Engineer as well for a training session if you can.
  • mackenzaemackenzae Member Posts: 77 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you aren't used to a firewall that does delta configurations and staged configuration - that will be new. Like if you are used to using a cisco ASA you understand as soon as you hit enter.. well that is that.. with the PAs (and Junipers as PA was started by folks from Juniper i heard) you can stage your configs save it and then commit the changes at a later change window or more convenient time.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Time to start getting some CCNA knowlege then.