Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Winzer wrote: »
    If I were to pass the CCNA on my own during a term break, will they credit the 2 courses required when I come back? (And yes, I understand that WGU would pay for the tests so I'm losing money by doing that)
    Worst case scenario, you'd have to have your mentor enroll you into the courses, then submit your score report to WGU.
  • Options
    Winzer wrote: »
    If I were to pass the CCNA on my own during a term break, will they credit the 2 courses required when I come back? (And yes, I understand that WGU would pay for the tests so I'm losing money by doing that)
    Update: I got a response from the Scores team for my CEH pass, and part of the email said this: "Please Note: If the course was not registered into the term in which you passed the assessment, a "Requirement Satisfied" will be applied to the course and it will reflect within the "Transferred Courses" section of your Degree Plan."
  • Options
    WinzerWinzer Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Update: I got a response from the Scores team for my CEH pass, and part of the email said this: "Please Note: If the course was not registered into the term in which you passed the assessment, a "Requirement Satisfied" will be applied to the course and it will reflect within the "Transferred Courses" section of your Degree Plan."

Thanks!
  • Options
    iaslam18iaslam18 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So it means if you enroll yourself with WGU and down the road you decided to take some certification to accelerate your progress, WGU will transfer the credits for those certifications. Is that correct?
  • Options
    iaslam18 wrote: »
    So it means if you enroll yourself with WGU and down the road you decided to take some certification to accelerate your progress, WGU will transfer the credits for those certifications. Is that correct?
    Yep, they'll give you credit as a transfer completion. Alternatively, you could enroll into the course before taking the cert, and complete it that way, rather than doing a transfer completion.
  • Options
    iaslam18iaslam18 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What I was told after you enrolled into WGU you can not transfer any certifications. Is that correct? Anybody experience that?
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    iaslam18 wrote: »
    What I was told after you enrolled into WGU you can not transfer any certifications. Is that correct? Anybody experience that?

Yes, that is their official policy. When you think about it, if it's a cert that counts for your degree you'll take it for free through them anyway, so it shouldn't be a big issue.
  • Options
    Please Note: If the course was not registered into the term in which you passed the assessment, a "Requirement Satisfied" will be applied to the course and it will reflect within the "Transferred Courses" section of your Degree Plan.

That is straight from the generic email they sent to me after accepting both by CEH and CHFI results
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    I have my CCNA Security (210-260) scheduled for Wednesday. This has been nearly an entire year working on CCENT, CCNA R&S, and CCNA Security. I'm ready to go back to WGU objective assessments!
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I've been slacking on my Elements of Effective Communication / C132 class. I have this and English Comp C455 to complete in 7 weeks. The preassessment for this was just awful and a lot of useless info if you ask me!
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    mindcrankmindcrank Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have my final transcripts being sent over right now - so I should be good for starting in the August term. I am planning on doing the BS - IT Security undergrad route :)
    Certifications: A+, Sec+, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Security, VCP6-DCV, CISSP, C|EH, CPT, Project+, Linux+, GPEN, OSCP, GXPN, GCIH, CISSP-ISSEP, OSCE
    WGU, BS-IT, Security: Complete! November 2016
    Legend: Completed, In-Progress, Next
  • Options
    Also, how do people add these signature blocks to their posts? I can't seem to find the option to make one under my profile settings?
    Certifications: A+, Sec+, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Security, VCP6-DCV, CISSP, C|EH, CPT, Project+, Linux+, GPEN, OSCP, GXPN, GCIH, CISSP-ISSEP, OSCE
  • Options
    I remember experiencing the same. If I remember correct, there is either a minimum post count or I had to PM a moderator.
  • Options
    jb4479jb4479 Member Posts: 10 ■■■□□□□□□□
    First term finished.

Next up, C182, C172, C232, C484.
    Hopefully the first two won't take too long, and I can accelerate this puppy to finish sooner. Only 47 CU's to go.
  • Options
    josephandrejosephandre Member Posts: 315 ■■■■□□□□□□
    just finished my bachelors last night. had my 2nd attempt @ the c169 OA standing in the way.

what a joke of a class and test. even though I passed, I'm STILL annoyed thinking about it. They need to get rid of it in general, but at the very least overhaul it completely.
  • Options
    thaiguy314thaiguy314 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So I'm interested in going to WGU Texas for my second bachelor's to finally cement my jump into I.T. and I had two questions:

1. is WGU Texas any different from the WGU? (Should I be weary of WGU Texas and just enroll in the original WGU)

2. The inclusion of certs into your degree plan interested me. How does that work? Do they basically teach you according to the cert curriculum and basically give you a voucher have to take the cert or is it somehow included in your online module/coursework?

Thanks ahead of time.
    Certs: CISSP, CEH, CCNA Cyber Ops, Security+
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    2. Kind of, they have videos and books, flash cards and question banks and course mentor consultation plus collaboration with other students for your preparation and then just give you a voucher and you register for the exam (let's say it's A+) -- you go to pearson vue, etc, etc, and on the step when you are supposed to enter the voucher you do it and it waives the exam price. If you fail more than that number of times (2 or 3 AFAIR) you'll have to pay for yourself as they can't pay for unlimited attempts.
  • Options
    New semester just started, current status:

#WGU B.S. - IT Security
    [Transferred: ] C455, C456, C132, C463, C278, C100, C459, C451, C164, C255, C168, C182, C376, C179, C172, C175, C173
    [Completed: ]
    [Remaining: ] C435, C436, C170, C697, C698, C484, C483
    [Enrolled: ] C393, C394, C176
  • Options
    zabe1zabe1 Member Posts: 18 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi all. It looks like most people choose the b.s in security route compared to b.s network admin. Why is this?
  • Options
    EDD264EDD264 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think its because its more secured with jobs and more earnings, from what I've read..
  • Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Its because the security track offers more certifications.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    I am now 1 year into WGU. I admittedly procrastinated a lot just getting a feel for things and balancing life. Overall, I really like the experience though and constantly recommend it to others when I can.
  • Options
    thaiguy314thaiguy314 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    2. Kind of, they have videos and books, flash cards and question banks and course mentor consultation plus collaboration with other students for your preparation and then just give you a voucher and you register for the exam (let's say it's A+) -- you go to pearson vue, etc, etc, and on the step when you are supposed to enter the voucher you do it and it waives the exam price. If you fail more than that number of times (2 or 3 AFAIR) you'll have to pay for yourself as they can't pay for unlimited attempts.

Awesome, thanks! yeah, I got in touch with an enrollment counselor and she was able to help me with it some more. sounds like the cert basically serves as the final exam whenever the class offers it. I was going to get a masters but walking out with an IT degree and 6 certs for what i'm hoping will be 6k or less sounds good to me.
    Certs: CISSP, CEH, CCNA Cyber Ops, Security+
  • Options
    Passed the 220-901 Exam today so C393 is now compete :) 1/10 down :D
  • Options
    zabe1zabe1 Member Posts: 18 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys, for these classes below for WGU, is it possible to take a course on one of the many online resources like coursers/saylor/allison and use that as credit for any one of these. Would WGU accept them? ideally I want to take these classes from a free resource website and have it transfer in.

Web Development Fundamentals (Javascript/HTML5/CSS3)
    Scripting and Programming (Java)
    Data Management (Oracle/SQL)
  • Options
    Passed 220-902 C394 on Friday, 2/10 classes complete in two weeks :)
  • Options
    JGDailyJGDaily Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Starting WGU on 11/01/16. Looking forward to learning information all over and again, as well new items. I'll be checking in here frequently for other student's experiences. I haven't even started yet and the experience is already not looking good. But, can't blame it on the enrollment/admissions process. I'll give a full experience probably after my first official week.
  • Options
    omichael003omichael003 Member Posts: 10 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm looking to attend WGU January next year. I have AS accounting from a community college over 5 years ago. Ccna r&s and looking to take ccna security next month. My question is, will my credit transfer and should I take S+, P+ and Linux+ before applying or study for it before applying and do the exams after I'm a student.
  • Options
    Passed Project+/C176 last Friday and have "accelerated" into Linux+ C697/C698
  • Options
    I'm looking to attend WGU January next year. I have AS accounting from a community college over 5 years ago. Ccna r&s and looking to take ccna security next month. My question is, will my credit transfer and should I take S+, P+ and Linux+ before applying or study for it before applying and do the exams after I'm a student.

I think your credits should transfer fine, as far as S+,P+ and L+... The vouchers are included in your tuition so - it's up to you. If you want to get your degree faster and be proactive at the cost of the exams then go for it, otherwise just wait and when you talk to your student mentor ask about front loading the classes that require CompTIA certifications so you can get them out of the way.