Options

Microsoft E-Learning

arnevikmarnevikm Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Has anyone tried the Microsoft E-Learning couse for the MCDST? There are separate courses 2261/2260 for 70-271&72. Each course is around $240. Way more than any of the books. I'm planning to start prepping this week and hope to take at least one of the exams (if not both) by the end of the year. I think I would get more out of the online module, but almost $500 worth of study material is hard to swallow.

Assuming that I probably will go the book route due to financial considerations, which seems to be the best? My concern when looking at books other than Microsoft Press is that they literally seem to be about half the size. I makes me wonder what's printed on the extra 300 pages. I've found some books that claim to cover 271&272 in fewer pages than the Microsoft book on 271.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Hey! welcome to the site.

I have microsoft e-learning for SQL server 2005, and vb.net. I got them for free though, unless the paid version is better, I dont think it's worth it for what they charge.

In terms of non-book training, I dont think microsoft e-learning is all that popular, look for prehaps transcender, prep logic instead.

For MCDST, depending on your background, computer-based material may not be the best, MCDST exams are really about the hands on experience, and knowing how to guide a user through desktop problems, and situations.

I think the best way to prepare is with a book, and test cases in front of winxp pro machine. Just going through all the different cases for customization, problem-recognition, and problem solving.

Good luck!
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    Thanks Bighorn. I'm leading towards the Sybex book. I've heard good things. Like I said, my biggest concern was just seeing how much additional material that Microsoft managed to shove into their books. Maybe they are just long winded. I'm fairly experienced with XP and 2000, but no so much with the Professional edition. I currently work in internet support so I'm pretty familiar with Remote desktop, LAN connections, firewall issues, TCP/IP settings and what not. I've been building/tinkering with personal PC's for many years now and want to go ahead and start building up some cert's to help my resume. I'm moving to the Memphis area next summer and just looking through careerbuilder.com it seems to be a pretty promising area for entry-mid level IT work.
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    The sybex book is VERY VERY good.

I have used them before for my A+ studies. But I found the MCDST material done exceptionally well by sybex. (unfortunately I do not get a single penny for saying that)

If you do not already have easy access to winxp pro, I would pick up a license for MCDST, it will be the only software piece that will help you the most. You should be able to get this for relatively cheap now that Vista is announced and all.

member in domain, and drive permissions, are key things you will need practice for on the MCDST exams.

Good luck!
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    Yeah. I already realized that I'm gonna have to move to XP pro. Luckily I can pull that off for less than a bill.