Is Cisco 2500 Series Worthbuying?

teenu0427teenu0427 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
hello i am planning on taking CCNA.
I took the first part in high school ccna1-2.
I graudate but i had chance to finish the course.
I just bought the 2500 series cisco router 5 and 3 cat 1900 series switches.
i was wondering if this is worth for learning ccna and giving exam as of These days.
I was also wondering if any one have access to CCNA cisco.netacad.net for class from highschool. there is option to download the lab.
i needed those lab which contain all ccna and ccna 2 lab for both semester.

Thank you for reading

EGAL

Comments

• bmaurobmauro Member Posts: 307
    The 25xx series routers are excellent routers for the CCNA, just make sure that they have enough memory to run a newer IOS.

The 1900 on the otherhand will be good to give you SOME hands-on expirience, but for the CCNA a 29xx series switch is what is covered.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    teenu0427 wrote:
    hello i am planning on taking CCNA.
    I took the first part in high school ccna1-2.
    I graudate but i had chance to finish the course.
    I just bought the 2500 series cisco router 5 and 3 cat 1900 series switches.
    i was wondering if this is worth for learning ccna and giving exam as of These days.
    I was also wondering if any one have access to CCNA cisco.netacad.net for class from highschool. there is option to download the lab.
    i needed those lab which contain all ccna and ccna 2 lab for both semester.

Thank you for reading

EGAL

keep the 2500s **** the 1900s for the 2900xl( this swith is closer to whats going to be used outside of a few commands it lacks)
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I agree that the 1900's aren't very useful.

As for the 2900's, you have to watch which model you get.

A 2950 will run the IOS that is covered on the exam.

A 2924 or a 2912 will run an IOS that is close to the type of switch that is covered on the exam.

A 2926 runs CatOS, which isn't covered on the CCNA.
  • J2tehkJ2tehk Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The 2500's are good and cheap. I have 6 2500 routers and 4 2600's.
  • teenu0427teenu0427 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    so dont buy the 1900 series.
    acutally i made the deal. is there anything that i can do to get around for that.

EGAL
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you're just starting a lab, you'll be busy for a while getting to know the routers. Save up for a 2950 ($200-300) when you're ready to dive into switching. If that's too pricey, the 2912/2924's go for around $80-100 on ebay.
  • teenu0427teenu0427 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok How much and how many components or equipment do i need for CCNA.
    I done routing in school upto setting up WAN connection using RIP,IGRP,EGRP . so i know. just didnt do switching. In my school they used 25XX series.
    I have 1900 Series. router so now is there any other way i can complete the rest of the commmands that lack of.
    I have the packet tracer 4.0 version which has al version of router can i use that to complete rest of my commands for switching. I am just buying this so i can feel comfortable because in simulation i know there are some commands i cant do.
    thats why.
    Thank you

EGAL
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    You could still use the 1900s to study STP in conjunction with a 29xx. You could also use it with one or more 29xx for VLAN, but the command set is quite different and might confuse you.
  • thisisalex02thisisalex02 Member Posts: 136
    cisco 2520 makes for a good FR switch
    Switches are bridges on steroids!
  • HELLZxPHADERHELLZxPHADER Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    if going for 2 serial port 2500 series make sure its 16/16 (maxed), prices will range from 50-80.

for maxed 2520 decent prices can range from 100-150.

Dont buy 1900 switches, one is ok to have for curiosity purposes lol.