Installing Exchange Server 2003

LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi there,

I'm trying to install Exchange Server 2003 (Enterprise Eval) on a Windows Server 2003 (Enterprise Eval) Server.

When attempting to run the setup.exe from the CD I receive a message stating that the computer does not meet the minimum requirements and that I need to visit http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/evaluation/sysreqs/2003.mspx for more information. However, the setup allows me to proceed but won't let me past the console where you specify the exchange components to install.

The machine is a virtual server with 50 gigs of HDD space free and 384MB of system ram assigned. The physical machine is a P4 2.8 with two HDDs (250 GIG and 80 GIG) and 3 GIGs of DDR PC3200 RAM.

Any ideas why on this?

Thanks,

Luke

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are both your host and vm using NTFS?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    First let me compliment you on your RAM.

Then let me say that I haven't the foggiest clue as to how virtual environments work, so can't help you. :P

...make sure you have a mouse...
    witty comment
  • geekiegeekie Member Posts: 391
    You've run the /forestprep /domainprep swithces...

Installed smtp, nntp, asp etc..

I'm running MS Virtual Server, 2 DC's & 2 Members both with Exch 2k3 Ent Edition installed, no prbs here icon_cool.gif

You've got a decent spec machine.. shouldn't be an issue..
    Up Next : Not sure :o
    sToNeDcNuT wrote:
    You've run the /forestprep /domainprep swithces...

Installed smtp, nntp, asp etc..

I'm running MS Virtual Server, 2 DC's & 2 Members both with Exch 2k3 Ent Edition installed, no prbs here icon_cool.gif

You've got a decent spec machine.. shouldn't be an issue..

I'm trying to run forestprep and domainprep so that I can install 2003 Exchange Server :)

Hmm.. I'm certain that i've installed all of the relevant services but will double check.
    _omni_ wrote:
    First let me compliment you on your RAM.

Then let me say that I haven't the foggiest clue as to how virtual environments work, so can't help you. :P

...make sure you have a mouse...

Why thank you sir :)

I have an MS IntelliMouse 4.0 if you must know! :D
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LukeQuake wrote:
    I'm trying to run forestprep and domainprep

Make sure you run adprep /forestprep on the schema master and adprep /forestprep on the infrastructure master. If you have the roles on different machines, you can do netdom query fsmo. You could also do dcdiag test:/knowsofroleholders /v.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
    icroyal wrote:
    LukeQuake wrote:
    I'm trying to run forestprep and domainprep

Make sure you run adprep /forestprep on the schema master and adprep /forestprep on the infrastructure master. If you have the roles on different machines, you can do netdom query fsmo. You could also do dcdiag test:/knowsofroleholders /v.

How would ADprep help me? I'm not upgrading a DC to a new OS I’m simply trying to install Exchange server 2003 on a 2003 server machine :)

Hmmm.. I've now assigned 512MB of ram to the virtual machine and the blimin' thing still doesn't want to install.

This is screen that is displayed after I agree to the license agreement.

www.lukepotter.co.uk/Exchange.JPG

I can confirm that SMTP, NNTP, WWW and ASP.net services are all started and functioning correctly.

Here is a screenshot of the message that appears when you try to run any setup command:-

www.lukepotter.co.uk/Exchange2.JPG

Really want to get this sorted ASAP so that I can continue studying and doing the practices! :)
  • kovokovo Member Posts: 122
    Thats fine just hit continue and install exchange. That compatibility message always appears when ive installed exchange 2003 on a server 2003 box. Its always installed and ran fine for me, just bypass the message.
    Thats not the problem :) - When I bypass the message, I still can't acturely install anything, check the first SS.
    Hmm... I just tried running Forestprep again and it worked!

Really strange icon_rolleyes.gif