70271 and Microsoft Press Readiness Review Suite

Mr.BobsterMr.Bobster Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi

I have never taken any exams (computer-related) before so I would like to ask for some advice.

I have been studying the 70-271 part of the MCDST from the self paced training kit by MSPress 2nd Edition (which by the way I personally thought had too many typos) and made an appointment for October 26.

My question is, without actually paying for other practice tests, would the Microsoft Press Readiness Review Suite tests be adequate for a pass?

I can achieve about 90% in the Object Reviews and 84% in the Practice Tests, both done in Certification mode.

How are the actual test administered? As in is it like the Readiness Review Suite point and click like on a computer at the testing place or is it like a Hand written document?

And with questions that say each answer is a complete solution and select all that apply, do you get like Half Marks say selecting 2/3 answers or is this information unable to be disclosed?

Thanks for any advice possible.
Jason

Comments

• SirDragoSirDrago Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mr.Bobster wrote:
    Hi

I have never taken any exams (computer-related) before so I would like to ask for some advice.

I have been studying the 70-271 part of the MCDST from the self paced training kit by MSPress 2nd Edition (which by the way I personally thought had too many typos) and made an appointment for October 26.

My question is, without actually paying for other practice tests, would the Microsoft Press Readiness Review Suite tests be adequate for a pass?

I can achieve about 90% in the Object Reviews and 84% in the Practice Tests, both done in Certification mode.

How are the actual test administered? As in is it like the Readiness Review Suite point and click like on a computer at the testing place or is it like a Hand written document?

And with questions that say each answer is a complete solution and select all that apply, do you get like Half Marks say selecting 2/3 answers or is this information unable to be disclosed?

Thanks for any advice possible.
    Jason

I'm doing the same as you right now. I've never taken a Microsoft exam either, but my advice would be that you get your hands on the Sybex and the Exam Cram 2 books because both of them have some information that the Microsoft book has not in it. Also both books have different test questions.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome aboard Jason! icon_cool.gif

I can't speak specifically about the book you asked about as I have not read it, but I think I can at least answer a couple of your other questions.
    Mr.Bobster wrote:

The practice exam included in the book will probably give you a fair guage of your readiness, although the actual exam questions will vary greatly. The main thing is to make sure you are familiar with all of the objectives for the exam, you can find them on MS site. The other thing to keep in mind is to make sure you are not taking the same practice exam multiple times and using those results as a guage for your readiness, as you are probably only scoring higher each time as you memorize those specific questions. Again, be familiar with the objectives themselves and not just the practice exam questions.
    Mr.Bobster wrote:

The tests are "proctored" at a certified testing center. You will need to check for testing centers near you. You can check either the Pearson-Vue or Prometric websites for testing centers in your location. A "proctored" test means that you will be taking the test while supervised by someone from the testing center. They don't hover over your shoulder, but in general you will be seated in a quiet testing area where they can make sure you are not cheating, either by a window into the testing area or a camera. The test is similar to your practice exam software - mostly multiple choice and taken on a computer. You may also have some simulation or multiple selection or even "hot spot" (drag and drop) questions. They should give you either a small white board and marker or some scrap paper to jot notes on once you begin the test, but you cannot take your own notes into the test area - ie no pre-made notes.
    Mr.Bobster wrote:

I think you may get partial credit, but I don't know for sure.

Good luck! icon_thumright.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Mr.BobsterMr.Bobster Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi
    Thanks for the reply, Firstly, good luck to you SirDrago.

Hopefully, they would issue partial credit because I seem to have a hard time doing those types of questions.

Thanks for your support
    Jason
    Mr.Bobster wrote:
    Hi
    Thanks for the reply, Firstly, good luck to you SirDrago.

Hehe thanks i'm sure i can use some luck. Good luck to you too :).
    So, is there any last advice before judgement day?
    Any important information?
    Ive looked at the info on microsoft.com.

Thanks for your support
    Jason
    Hi
    I have passed the 70-271 exam.
    Thanks for the advice

From what I understand, this exam gains MCP status (which I hope is true)

Do anyone know when the validation email get sent and can my above statement be verified?

Thanks once again.
    Jason
    Mr.Bobster wrote:
    Hi
    Thanks for the advice

Do anyone know when the validation email get sent and can my above statement be verified?

Thanks once again.
    Jason

Grats!

What score did you get on the examn?
    Well i did a 883.

I think studying it form the MSPress stuff was alright however a second source of study materials would have been beneficial.

Now, are you going to take yours? :)
    Good luck for when you do,

Thanks
    Jason
    Mr.Bobster wrote:
    Now, are you going to take yours? :)
    Good luck for when you do,

Thanks
    Jason

I don't know when i will take mine, probabaly withhin the next month. I don't feel quite ready yet.
    Lol, ok
    Good luck for when you do.

Now time to study the 70-272
  • helms20helms20 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mr.Bobster wrote:
    Hi
    Thanks for the advice

Thanks once again.
    Jason

Mr. Bobster,

Yes you are correct about the MCP status. To gain an MCP status you have to pass any current microsoft exam. Congratz on the score. What path are you going for, and what will be your next exam?

EDIT: Nevermind I just went back to your original post and saw that you are on the MCDST path. Well I wish you all the best.
    "Our arrows will blot out the sun."
    "Then we will fight in the shade."
    Thanks
    Well i guess, my next step is to do 70-272 for MCDST which I plan for before Christmas.

My path I'm still not too sure as I only did the exam because I had too much free time on study leave.

I might go with the MCSA path later on if I decide, however that depends if I can fit it in during my other commitments.

Anyways, Thanks

Jason

Edit:
    On the CV, is the "Microsoft is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and other countries" text required if using the MCP logo?, if so where should it go? The guidelines in my opinion were either a) not very clear on the text part as it just says business cards or b) I cant read (properly that is)
    Thanks
    Jason
  • rydawg1rydawg1 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Bobster, just curious as to how long you studied for the exam prior to taking the test? I just started my studies for this exam this week with the microsoft press release and the Sybex MCDST study guide for 70-271 and 272. Thanks.
    "man who stand on toliet, is high on pot"...
    Well, how I have to say about 12 days but I was on study leave so I'm home practically 24/7 (not implying I do not sleep :)) just sitting on the computer studying for it.

Jason
    Mr.Bobster wrote:
    Well, how I have to say about 12 days but I was on study leave so I'm home practically 24/7 (not implying I do not sleep :)) just sitting on the computer studying for it.

Jason

Hey wish me luck. I made an appointment on November 16th.
    SirDrago wrote:
    Mr.Bobster wrote:

Jason

Hey wish me luck. I made an appointment on November 16th.

Well, as you said, good luck with those exams, now I need to do my school exams icon_sad.gif

Jason