Isaca transitions to computer-based testing in 2017

riyanriyan Member Posts: 161 ■■■□□□□□□□
Source:
http://www.isaca.org/Certification/Additional-Resources/Pages/CBT-FAQs.aspx

[h=3]ISACA TRANSITIONS TO COMPUTER-BASED TESTING IN 2017[/h][h=4]1. What is Computer-Based Testing?[/h]Computer-Based Testing (CBT) is an efficient way to provide a secure, consistent environment for certification exams while significantly enhancing the candidate experience. For those taking the CISA, CISM, CGEIT and CRISC exams, this means exam-takers will go to a testing center, show identification, be seated at a computer workstation and take the exam in a secure, monitored environment.
[h=4]2. What is changing regarding the CISA, CRISC, CISM and CGEIT exam delivery?[/h]The delivery method for these certification exams is changing from paper and pencil to CBT. The December 2016 exam administration will be the last exam administered via the traditional paper-based delivery method. Exam candidates will register for an exam via the ISACA website, at which point the candidate will schedule the exam with the testing vendor by selecting the desired date and test center location that is most convenient.
[h=4]3. When will candidates begin utilizing CBT for ISACA exams?[/h]In 2017, Computer-Based Testing for the CISA, CISM, CRISC and CGEIT certification exams will be offered during three testing windows of eight-week durations, with the first window to begin no later than June. Exact testing windows and related details are in the planning stages. Please log on to www.isaca.org/certification for updates on the testing windows.
[h=4]4. When can I start registering?[/h]The timetable for registration will be announced at a later date. Log on to IT Certification - Audit - Security - Governance - Risk | ISACA for updates.
[h=3][/h][h=3]CBT EXAM FORMAT[/h][h=4]5. Will I need to prepare for CBT in any different way than paper and pencil exams?[/h]No. If you are a member of ISACA, contact your local chapter to see if it conducts review courses.
[h=4]6. What will be the test format of the CBT exam?[/h]The multiple-choice format of the exams will not change. Questions will be delivered one at a time, and candidates will have the opportunity to flag items to which they can later return.
[h=4]7. What are some of the main benefits of CBT?[/h]CBT will add value for certification exam-takers, including:
  • The ability to schedule tests when and where it’s convenient. The opportunity to take the exams will increase dramatically, from two times per year (for CGEIT and CRISC) or three (for CISA and CISM), to three testing windows of eight-week duration during 2017.
  • Decreased turnaround time for exam results. Preliminary pass/fail results will be available immediately after the exam. Official exam results will be sent within 10 business days.
  • Increased flexibility for changing exam times. Individuals will be able to reschedule exams within the same testing windows as late as 48 hours from the originally scheduled exam time.
[h=4]8. Will the passing standards change with CBT?[/h]No.
[h=4]9. Does it take more time to complete a computer-based exam compared to pencil and paper?[/h]No. Prior to the exam, a brief tutorial will be available for those who have not previously taken CBT exams. This tutorial will instruct exam-takers on how to navigate through the computer-based exam. Candidates will have four hours to take the exam. As candidate feedback is important to the continued success of our exams, we also will ask exam-takers to answer a few questions related to the testing center and the exam content. There will be extra time allotted for completion of the tutorial and the post-exam survey.
[h=4]10. Will ISACA eliminate pencil and paper exams?[/h]In regions of the world where there is no CBT center and ISACA has high volumes of exam-takers, pencil and paper exams may still be offered.

Comments

• riyanriyan Member Posts: 161 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Beware of Psycho-Analysis fiasco that happened with CISSP transition to new CBK.
  • riyanriyan Member Posts: 161 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am expecting a full-house in December 2016 exam windows. Do advance reservation and thank later.
  • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I hope they change the endorsement process as well.
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No more having to sharpen those No. 2 pencils guys.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Praise baby Jesus!
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    From a cost and ease perspective CBT is a good idea. However, for exams such as CISSP, CISM, etc paper does have advantages (at least for me, easier to do batches of questions on paper, and go back and mark them on the exam form). I've never done a 200 question CBT but I could see where it is easy to get lost or hung up on a trouble question.

At least I can say "back when I took CISSP/CISM I took it on paper! You kids and your new-fangled CBT..." :)
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I so prefer paper if nothing more than I can look and scan through most of the test in a minute and decide which questions I want to do first, "see" or determine the answer to a different question I have already answered and lastly, less eye strain.

Now, I will agree the CBT is certainly cheaper but not better in any other way.

- b/eads
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    beads wrote: »
    I so prefer paper if nothing more than I can look and scan through most of the test in a minute and decide which questions I want to do first, "see" or determine the answer to a different question I have already answered and lastly, less eye strain.

Now, I will agree the CBT is certainly cheaper but not better in any other way.

- b/eads

The immediate pass/fail notification sounds pretty nice.
  • Rehana44Rehana44 Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was planning on registering for December CRISC exam but now i will wait for 2017 exam windows :D CBT is much better way. No need to worry about sharpening the pencils, filling the circles on answer sheets which really takes lot of time
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Still feel that paper-based exams are more "secure" as in questions do not leak out that easily and become brain ****.
    In 2017, Computer-Based Testing for the CISA, CISM, CRISC and CGEIT certification exams will be offered during three testing windows of eight-week durations

Any mention of re-take policy?

• JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    The instant pass/fail itself is reason enough for me to prefer CBT testing over paper, and the ability to knock out CISM/CISA in a much shorter window than 6 months is also great.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Immediate gratification? Ugh! Big deal. I go into a test knowing I will pass, not worried about that at all. No offense but I really haven't worried about passing in quite some time.

Sharpening pencils? Really? Are you serious? Ask the proctor for a pencil if your that heavy handed. LOL. I think its happened twice in all the times I have proctored exams in the past.

Scranton sheets can be messy if abused and I have seen this happen where you wonder what test the subject was taking or if there is an intact eraser in the building... somewhere. Sheets like that have to be hand graded so there is that. If you are that unsure that you feel the need to change answers that much or often, let me clue you in - you probably failed unless you skipped an answer and realize your off by one. Ugly but its happened.

Having proctored both types of exams I can tell you from my personal experience people take much longer on CBTs than they do with the old paper exams and the stories about how difficult the test is or isn't generally becomes more exaggerated, e.g. "Male child birth" types of stories. Love hearing that one.

- b/eads
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am a bigger fan of the paper test as well, but hated the wait for the pass/fail. Surprised that in 2016 there wasn't a way to just scan your test when completed on-site to determine your score. So, that being said I'm sure the real motivator is to get more people to sign up for the exams since finding a test center is easy. I'm sure this will also be a good thing for the brain **** market, lots more business coming their way!
  • Rob911Rob911 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Scantrons don't bother me. You either know the content or not.

In my opinion, the strangest thing was that the exact location of my CISM exam was never disclosed to me until 45 days before the exam. All I knew after when registering was the city, state and location code of the testing site. "New York City" is a pretty large place.

Exam Locations
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I like this, makes things a lot easier.
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    beads wrote: »
    Immediate gratification? Ugh! Big deal. I go into a test knowing I will pass, not worried about that at all. No offense but I really haven't worried about passing in quite some time.
    - b/eads

I'm glad you're confident. I get reimbursed when I pass, so immediate notification gets me reunited with my investment that much sooner.
    Ertaz wrote: »
    I'm glad you're confident. I get reimbursed when I pass, so immediate notification gets me reunited with my investment that much sooner.

This is a huge part. I get reimbursed for passed exams so the shorter turnaround nets me my money quicker. As well the quicker turnaround on scores lets me move onto the next cert that much quicker.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
    And yet ANOTHER instance of why I'm so glad ISACA is finally moving to flexible CBT as yet again I have to skip the December test because I just found out my wife's graduation ceremony is Dec 10th. So since 2014 I've had to cancel plans to attempt the CISM due to conflicting items. I really wanted to experience the PBT at least once to say I went through it but I guess it's not meant to be. Here's to 2017 CBT!
  • n95950n95950 Member Posts: 5 ■■□□□□□□□□
    glad to hear this news. thanks.
  • RaystafarianRaystafarian Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's interesting to see the range of reactions here. Back when I took the CISA nobody "could believe ISACA still used paper tests!" Personally, prior to taking ISACA tests, I preferred CBT. After taking to ISACA tests, I like the paper aspect because it's easier to mark up the key words that ISACA loves to sprinkle in. Also, I have a lucky eraser!

I think transitioning to CBT is a great thing in almost every metric, but I do worry about test takers being able to highlight the key words in the questions and answers given the way ISACA likes to word things.
    Hit me up on LinkedIn - just mention you're from techexams.
  • pgupta101pgupta101 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I like CBT, not a fan of colouring the circle.
    But will be disappointed if the first exam of 2017 still falls on June. ISACA should increase exam frequency. At Least it should be every quarter. I wonder what they do in first half of the year !! icon_rolleyes.gif
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In 2017, Computer-Based Testing for the CISA, CISM, CRISC and CGEIT certification exams will be offered during three testing windows of eight-week

This is a bummer.