MCSA Server 2012- Where are the best resources to pass?

Neo2345Neo2345 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi

I am knew to this forum so if this has been asked before I am sorry.

So I am knew into a job and during the interview I said that I would have my MCSA Server 2012 qualifications by Christmas. I work in I.T support.

I am really nervous that if I don't get the qualifications by Xmas they will fire me.

So I am turning to this forum for help. I have already booked myself on a course at my own expense. The company said they will pay for the exams.

To be honest I thought they would pay for the course. Is this the industry standard or am I just wishing?

Anyway please let me know where I can get my hands on resources (preferably free ones as I am skint!)

Tks for your help in advance all and good luck with the studying.

Neo.......

Comments

• LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    3 professional level exams in 3 months is a tall order.

Your best resources imo are the ms publishing books (get 2nd edition since R2 is out) and using the exam blueprint MS publishes on their website.

Hit the books hard and quick, lab a ton.

Good luck!
  • twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes, that is a lot on yourself to get by Christmas.
    You will need to set up lab and do lots of lab. ANd book studies.
    look at book resources here and grab couple and see what works for you.
    there are lots of sources for videos too, like plural sights and cbtnuggets.
    read, watch video, lab, repeat.....
    cbtnuggets will include practice exams, so see if that makes sense to you too.
    watching videos might not be for everyone, but it might fill in some of blanks

Right now, MS has bundles, 5 retakes for $200. Check MS site.
    but, don't think because you have 5 shots you don't have to put in study effort.
    this deal was extended a month so you have til Sept 30th to purchase.

good luck!
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow you're on a rush! Right now,

Start with a small lab and do all the possibles things that you imagine... also if you can apply it in your job much better.
    The MS Exams are kind of tough so be prepare for long questions

I will share this notes from a Friend of mine that I highly suggest to do it.

90 days to MCSA - http://bit.ly/2cff4Xj

Looking forward to your project! :D
    PS: Im thinking on MCSA too :D
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How much experience do you have with Server 2012? Taking the 3 exams in 3 months would be difficult for most members of this forum. I started studying Jan 1st this year and just took the last exam mid-July and spent several hours a day most days studying and I've got experience in the field. I'm not saying it's impossible but certainly no small task. You need to setup a good lab and look into the Pluralsight videos at the very least. Good luck!
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • doublehunterdoublehunter Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi all,

Out of curiosity - can you be an MCSA 2012 only by using VMs? no need to purchase/setup physical server? Same as you can be CCNA with Packet Tracer and GNS?

BTW - thanks for the notes for MCSA, very helpful material
  • AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes, you can pass by only using VMs for your labs. That's what I did and it worked great
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
    Yup that's all I used. I used virtual box on my desktop and created a DC and a workstation. The only thing I've found issues with a vm is WSUS, it ends up really bogging down a vm with limited resources.
  • twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What were specs you used on machine? How much memory?
    how many vms did you set up?
  • MHTECHMHTECH Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Lexluethar wrote: »
    3 professional level exams in 3 months is a tall order.

Your best resources imo are the ms publishing books (get 2nd edition since R2 is out) and using the exam blueprint MS publishes on their website.

Hit the books hard and quick, lab a ton.

Good luck!

With the retake bundle can it only be used on one exam? If I went for the 70-410 and passed first time would I still have 5 retakes if I move onto 70-411?
  • MHTECHMHTECH Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    twodogs62 wrote: »
    What were specs you used on machine? How much memory?
    how many vms did you set up?

I'm using
    I7 5820k
    32gb DDR4
    500GB Samsung SSD

Not had any problems running 3/4 VMs so far
    No, the bundle is just for one exam. They have (or at least had) larger packages that would have multiple exams in it with multiple retakes but the one for $200 just covers one exam, which will give you just one voucher. Once you put that voucher in during the registration it's marked as used for that exam code and cannot be used for other exams. One voucher per exam - you might find a bundle with multiple exams.

You put the voucher in during the registration part of scheduling the exam. If you fail the exam you can go through the registration process again and you just put in the same voucher code - since you typed it in during the scheduling of the first exam MS's system will recognize it and when you put it in on the same exam code that you failed the first time at checkout you will see a credit for the amount of the exam - making it free.

If you pass the exam that voucher is no longer able to be used for future exams.

Realize they may have changed this, this is just my experience when using a similar bundle last year for my MCSA 2008 exam.
  • doublehunterdoublehunter Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    it is okay if i only have 4gb of ram and an amd a6 5400k? I am thinking i will be limited to 1-2 vm only
  • poolmanjimpoolmanjim Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The 4GB of RAM is going to SEVERELY limit you. If you can, you should look into upgrading that to 8GB at least (16 would be even better). The smallest I've gotten away with was about 768MB for a GUI install. It did not run very well. For Server Core installs you can probably get away with 512MB on average.

Until you can get a hardware upgrade, make sure and run your servers with dynamic memory turned on. Give them 1GB of ram if GUI and 768MB if core. They should spin down on average to use no more than 450-600MB idle. That will let you run probably 2-3 VMs (3 is pushing it) before you start seeing issues. 2-3 VMs is enough to get 90% of the first exam labbed out.

Another suggestion is to look at Microsoft Virtual Labs. They aren't amazing in a lot of cases but they are certainly usable and I have used them to help with some more obscure topics as they give you lab guides with them.

Good luck.
    2019 Goals: Security+
    2020 Goals: 70-744, Azure
    Completed: MCSA 2012 (01/2016), MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (07/2017), MCSA 2017 (09/2017)
    Future Goals: CISSP, CCENT