2nd NIC configuration

SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
Im using a 2nd NIC for a virtual machine within VMware.

Both NIC are connected to a netgear DG834.

NIC 2 needs to not be accessable to the host machine but only to the virtual machine.

Has anyone set this up and how? Just checking what i have done here is all. = )

Cheers.
Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools

Comments

• royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Configure ICS on the NIC that connects to the internet to share to the 2nd private NIC. I'm not very familiar with Vmware, but with Virtual Server you can configure a new Virtual Server Network Adapter to use the private NIC. Now when the clients boot up and do a dhcp broadcast, ICS will see it and act as their DHCP server for the 192.168.0.x range (cannot be changed with ICS). Since ICS provides the private NIC with internet access, it will act as the DNS proxy for all the clients on the Virtual Machines. This will grant your Virtual Clients access to the internet. Sorry that I can't relate more towards Vmware, but hopefully this tidbit of information helps.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Thank you for your reply.

Yes its all setup for access and works fine.

The second NIC is pointing to a 'honeywall' then through to a 'honeypot' both running under virtual machines. The router will be enabled to allow all inbound traffic through on 192.168.0.3 (2nd NIC) which is bridged within VMware.

What i want to avoid is 2nd Nic access to the host machine and only the virtual machine......

Its late so i may setup ok or just missing something simple just wondering the thoughts from you guys before i open up the connects to 2nd NIC.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools