Options

Attending Community College for MCSA / Tips needed

mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'm attending a nearby community college for MCSA certification and this will be my first real dive into the Microsoft world for system administration. I was told to get the sybex 2012 R2 MCSA book for the class ( Which I have now ) In addition I was told other printed material would be available as well as labs by Dreamspark. Any tips or suggestions are welcome.
This class is going to be going on for the next 5 months and I want to make the most of it. I plan to utilize this forum alot and I will try to find the answer before posting a question here. In some of the other posts here in this forum the following books are suggested to buy for studies and I want to make sure they are still relevant.
[h=1][/h]MCSA Windows 2012 R2 Sybex book <-- I have
Learn power shell in a month of Lunches.
Exam Ref 70-410 2nd edition
Technet

Any other suggestions please let me know. I'm looking forward to learning MCSA and to getting to know you all on this forum.
mgmguy1
"A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Group Policy by Moskowitz is pretty good. But to be honest, I've only cracked it open for casual reading here and there, or if I simply cannot find something with a Google search. But if I can't find something through Google, it's probably not in the book either. Still a very good resource.

I also like the Windows 7 Portable Command Guide and the Windows Server 2008 Portable Command Guide books from Gibson.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This site has some good videos for the 70-410 exam.
    Networkedminds - Where Networked Focused Minds Meet!

I'm hoping there are videos in works for the 70-411 and 70-412 or 09 exams.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This site has some good videos for the 70-410 exam.
    Networkedminds - Where Networked Focused Minds Meet!

I'm hoping there are videos in works for the 70-411 and 70-412 or 09 exams.

Thanks for the link looks like good videos. I will have to check them out this week or something. My issue i believe is GPO policy's and user permissions.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • Options
    Thank you for the videos. I bookmarked them and I am watching them now !
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • Options
    My first night class for the MCSA was good. I arrived 15 minutes early and I discovered the class has 6 people in it. All my classmates expect one are in their 40's and are going back to school like I am to update there skills so we can get a better job. I really like the Teacher. He seems very down to earth and explained some of the intro concepts in "cisco speak" which made me understand things a little better. I am looking forward to learning Windows
    2012 server. Homework tonight is to read the assigned chapters in the book and go over them next time in class and do some labs.

Fats Domino
  • Options
    Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice... Trust me If I knew the college by would have to this course I would of sign up a long time ago. Just remember ask questions if you don't understand it. Once you start with the lab it will get easier down the road...

Good Luck!
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*