Passed Security+ SY0-401 today, my thoughts

atippettatippett Member Posts: 154
Some background on me (if you happen to care):
  • Senior in college, majoring in IS with a concentration in IA/cybersecurity
  • Currently interning in a Network Engineering department, started in 05/2016
  • No IT experience other than my internship
  • No other certifications
What I studied:
  • I read the CompTIA Security+ All-in-One Exam Guide, Fourth Edition. ISBN: 9780071841245
  • Did the practice questions in the book
  • GCGA premium account, the $30 membership
The exam was pretty difficult. I passed with a 767 (750 needed to pass). The book that I read, mentioned above, gave me pretty much the basics of everything I needed to know. However, I feel the GCGA premium account really hammered in the concepts better. Every cert I take from now on, I will buy the GCGA book version for that cert. Also, the performance based questions were almost identical to the ones in the GCGA premium account. The questions on the GCGA premium account were the best preparation for me. It gives you somewhere near 400 questions in the account.

I was only asked 1 port question on the exam, which was SMTP. MAKE SURE YOU KNOW VPN's. I had about 6 or 7 questions on VPN's alone.

I'm not sure where to go from here, probably the Network+. Since I'm just in college I have time to complete the upper level certs.

Comments

• TechnicalJayTechnicalJay Member Posts: 219 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!

What do they have you doing in the network engineering department?
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Congrats!!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • atippettatippett Member Posts: 154
    Congrats!

What do they have you doing in the network engineering department?

I do a lot of sitting in with higher level engineers when they design and engineer a network. They teach me what they're doing and why they're doing it. When they go and implement the network, I'll tag along and help them out with some cabling work. I also do a lot of troubleshooting. I do minor tasks by myself, but anything that will have an affect (effect?) on the network and might bring it down, I'll coordinate with a higher level engineer and they'll pretty much walk me through it step by step.
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • horusthesunhorusthesun Member Posts: 289
    cool. Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on your pass!! Defenitly is a must to buy the premium of GCGA!!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"